Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G5 Possible PSU back plane issue.

NathanJT
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G5 Possible PSU back plane issue.

Hi,

I have 4 early build DL380 G5 servers which, along with a lot of other people on here I see, have had failed power redundency thanks to the dodgy batch of PSU's. However I now have another issue:

Recently I had one of the "not dead yet" original PSU's die and replaced by HP (note that I've only ever had a single PSU replaced at a time, never 2 which some people seem to have had). Unfortunately this did no resolve the issue. IML still states that the box has a failed PSU and on reseating the PSU itself I get a green power LED for about 2 seconds and then out it goes again.

Am I looking at a potential failure of the backplane that connects the 2 PSU's to the mainboard or is this something else?

Any help is most gratefully received.
3 REPLIES
Srinivas Suddapalli
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G5 Possible PSU back plane issue.

Hi,

The type of response when power is applied to the PSU indicate that they are failed. Need to get PSU's replaced but before that you can try any other PSU on the server to isolate and if issue persists, can replace the PSU backplane.

Regards,
Srinivas S
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

well I don't know if you server has 1 or 2 PSUs but swap them too to check if the issue follows the PSU or stay in the same bay if stays in the bay the issue it's the power backplane

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
NathanJT
Occasional Visitor

Just to update you on this (sorry, I've had a weeks vacation since), I carried out all the logical checks/tests regarding known good PSU's etc and it was decided that the main board was fried. Replacement fixed the problem

However, and this is the odd part. PSU's that didn't work in the machine in question DID work in others. And even weirder, a PSU that didn't work in slot one DID work in slot one on the affected server.

The engineer from HP supposed that there was a current draw issue with the mobo that precluded a certain PSU from supplying enough power do to a failing component.

Thanks for all the help.