108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 PowerSupply faulty?

SOLVED
Go to solution
fredr1k
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G5 PowerSupply faulty?

Today i swapped a Power supply on one of my customers DL380 G5. When I called HP for replacement of the PSU i was asked if I had replaced the other PSU before. Told her NO. She then told me they're gonna send me TWO power supplies.

I asked her why, and i was told there is an increased rate of defective units on these and they are replacing the other one just in case. But i wasn't provided with more information.

Anyone that can provide me with more specific information regarding this issue? What systems are affected? when where they manufactured etc?
7 REPLIES 7
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

This server has a board that both power supplies attached to, called a power convertor or power backplane. The only reason why I could see them asking if the other was replaced perhaps was to clue in to see if maybe there is an issue with the power backplane/converter instead of the power supplies themselves.

Perhaps there was a communication issue between you and the person at HP and maybe they thought there was some other issue going on instead of a simple power supply failure?

It would have made more sense for them to send a power backplane + one power supply than both power supplies if the server is up and running fine, that would have at least eliminated the possibility of a bad slot.
dms_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

yes there is such issue.Power supply of some G5 servers (most of the ML and DL 300 series but only for G5) are affected and defective.DL380 is one of them.Thats why the 2nd PSU was replaced too.

Regards
fredr1k
Occasional Contributor

Gonzo: thanks for your answer.

I assume they have corrected this in the production. But question remains until when servers were shipped with faulty PowerSupplies.

And is it a common procedure to replace booth power supplies when a "faulty series server" is discovered?
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

HP's policy to replace parts is "fix on fail" only so typically they will not proactively just replace power supplies that are not failed. If there is indeed a problem with "specific" power supplies it may not affect all systems, so if you are worried about other servers with this issue, you should really contact HP and look into it further.

Normally if there is a trend with failed parts they have some way to identify the parts by revision or part number, so they can see if your power supply is affected or not.
mhutchesson

I have had 8 die since Sept 2006, all DL380G5, I think trend is an understatement.

Clearly there is an issue, but they seem unclear which revision may actually work

thanks
mkh
fredr1k
Occasional Contributor

Just encountered the second faulty PSU in more or less a week. This time it was a DOA.

*sigh*

So it seems like the problem persists.
vvii
Occasional Contributor

I am one of those who have to replace the Fans.

Actually for my case, I have to replaced the motherboard in order to solved the problem.