1751972 Members
4550 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 Problem!

MusicalChris
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G5 Problem!

Hi i have installed a second processor into a DL 380 GS server and it will not power up or boot. It goes from orange power light to green for a second then back to orange.

If i take out the second processor it will work fine.

I have checked the socket and can see no bent pins anything unusual etc.

Any ideas why this is not working with the second processor?

Thanks.

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Christian B.
Super Advisor

Hi Chris,

One of the following details
1) Latest System Bios firmware
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&swItem=MTX-2a94ee936b09442fab036d42b1&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

2) Both processors should be compatible(should have the same part number)

3) It could be an issue with Slot 2.

All d best !
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

it can be caused by a processor stepping which does not allows SMP to work correctly, to fix this flash the latest BIOS, also the procs must have the same specs if not SMP will not work either. try this first

additional to this, to confirm that is not a processor problem, swap the existing processor you have with the new one (just one at a time) on socket 1, if server boots fine with any of the 2 procs on socket 1 it means that they are ok, if this happens and you still cannot fix the error i recommend you to change the system board.

MusicalChris
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys thanks for the suggestions, i will try the swapping processors over and checking the cpu types etc.

It is a brand new server so don't think it would be a faulty board but you never know i suppose.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris.
MusicalChris
Occasional Contributor

Also, how do we check that the processors are the same, have the same part number/model number etc?

would this be written on the cpu, can this be determined by looking at numbers on the cpu's?

thanks again.

Chris.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

The processor speed, type and part numbers are typically all found on the heatsink. Also, make sure you have the PPM/VRM (processor power module) board installed for each of the CPUs.

Good luck!
MusicalChris
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys, could it be that there is not enough/any thermal paste between cpu and heatsink so that it is overheating/not conducting properly and the server is instantly not powering up because of this?

Cheers

Chris.