108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 Speicher in Windows 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
JJaninhoff_1

DL380 G5 Speicher in Windows 2003

Hallo,
Wie haben einen DL360 G5 mit 10 GB Ram f├╝r Terminal Server Dienste.
Beim Booten wird auch 10 GB angezeit, leider nicht in Windows.
Es handelt sich aber um Windows Server 2003 r2 Sp2 Enterprise 32 Bit, dieses kann solche gr├╢├Яe verwalten.
Im Moment glaube ich das die Redundaz ROM Option des ProLiant den Speicher aus blendet. Wie kann man die abschalten? Da wir keinen Bedarf an der Option haben, aber die vollen 10 GB haben m├╢chten.

Hinweise auf den /3Gb Switch in Windows hatten wir schon bekommen, aber dort liegt unser Problem nicht begraben. Ist ein Enterprise Server......

cu J├╢rg
9 REPLIES 9
JJaninhoff_1

Hello,
We have an DL380 G5 with 10 GB ram for Terminal Services.
On boot, the server shows 10 GB, but not under Windows.
we runs Windows Server 2003 R2 Sp2 Enterprise. 32 Bit. it shows 3,7 GB...

I think the redundac rom Option form the proliant server are hide the rest form the Rom.
How can i disabel the redundanc Option?

any hint to the /3Gb Switch from windows, are not the solve of oure Problem, it is an Enterprise server, the /3GB switch online aktivated the option to run one application with more than 2 GB ram ....

Joerg
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you're using a 32-bit Windows OS, you will need to use the /PAE option in your boot.ini to access more than about 4 GB.

To be precise:
memory accessible without /PAE = 4 GB - (video memory + any HBA/NIC memory buffers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Windows

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366796(VS.85).aspx

MK
MK
JJaninhoff_1

Ok but we runs 6 Intel S5000Vsa (2xXeon with 8 GB)with out the PAE Switch and this Server show 8GB...
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This is not, specifically, a hardware limitation. I'm not sure how that's possible as 32 bit operating systems have this limitation built in. Are these other systems running some version of 32 bit Windows or are they running x64?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
JJaninhoff_1

All server we runs olny 32 Bit.
The S5000vsa are installed with the same Windows Enterprise Cd than the proLiants.... the same key, the same konfiguration.....
JimTaylor
Advisor

I think there is some sort of additional instruction or something in certain processors that make Windows enable PAE without any additional user intervention.

We run a mixed bag of Intel and AMD based HP servers. All of the AMD servers automatically enable PAE on 32bit versions of Windows and can see 4GB (or more) without any user intervention. The Intel machines don't generally seem to do it.

Either way, as the others have said, /PAE in your boot.ini will sort the problem.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If the operating system is 32 bit Windows, then it MUST be in the boot.ini file. It's possible it may have automatically been added, but it is there if you can see all 8 GB of the memory.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

According to the MSDN link I posted above:

"On most computers, PAE is disabled by default. (PAE is enabled by default only if DEP is enabled on a computer that supports hardware-enabled DEP, or if the computer is configured for hot-add memory devices in memory ranges beyond 4 GB.) PAE must be explicitly enabled for Windows to run in NUMA mode on a NUMA-capable computer. "

Your S5000vsas probably fulfill the condition to activate PAE by default.

MK
MK
JJaninhoff_1

OK OK it was right the /PAE switch let us show more Memory. now i have to rerange the memory so at it show all of the 10 GB, because an other koleg has plugt the memory in a bad order.....

thanks to all....