New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G5 Temperature related behaviour

SOLVED
Go to solution
SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G5 Temperature related behaviour

Hello,

We have a number of HP DL380 G5 servers at our customers sites. Some run W2K3, other RHEL 4. I've been asked about automatic temperature related shutdown, and I'm having trouble finding definitive answers.

Can you tell me:
- what are the temperature thresholds for this server, or how can I find them?
- what is the system behaviour when the temperature reaches these thresholds?

N.B. The Linux servers do not have any of the HP management packages installed. The BIOS has 'Thermal Shutdown' set to enabled.

Thanks, Sean.
6 REPLIES 6
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: DL380 G5 Temperature related behaviour

hi,

enter ILO and check under temperature sensors, it will tell you the current temp and it limits

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

as juan quesada says having no SMHP you get that from ilo 2 page so will see the thresholds and for the behavior you can either let server continues working or shtdown when the threshold is exceeded that can be configured in BIOS(linux server since they don't have HP tools) or System Management homepage (SMHP) in Home -> system -> cooling and temperature (windows servers)

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answers so far.

There are some points I'd like to clarify. The BIOS 'Thermal Shutdown' setting controls whether or not the server is shutdown when a threshold is exceeded. Which threshold is this? Is this a controlled software shutdown, or immediate power removal?

I thought there was a hard-wired immediate shutdown function as well, which activates regardless of the BIOS settings. I'd guess this is triggered when the temperature reaches the upper threshold. Am I correct?

Sean.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

hi,

if the TEMPERATURE threshold is Exedded the hardware (BIOS) will start a graceful shutdown no matter which OS the server is running.

the limits are inside of ILO, check the logs, it will tell you current and limits
SEvans_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The iLO shows two thresholds for each temperature reading; Caution, and Critical. Would I be correct in assuming that the 'Critical' temperature threshold is the one that activates the shutdown? And the Caution level is only effective when the HP management s/w is running?

Another question occurs. There are 7 temperature readings; I/O board zone, Ambient Zone, CPU1 (x2), Power Supply Zone and CPU 2 (x2). Is a shutdown instigated when any of these reached the appropriate threshold?

Thanks again, Sean.
MT19
Valued Contributor
Solution

If the level reaches cuationary, then the server will conduct an orderly shutdown of the server. If it hits critical, then that'll cause an immediate shutdown of the server.

Yes, if a cautionary/critical level is detected in any of those zones, the actions above will be executed.