ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753333 Members
5404 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 Will not boot when restored from image.

Bradley Dietz

DL380 G5 Will not boot when restored from image.

I have restored a DL380 g5 from a hard drive image using Paragon Drive Backup. Everytime that I try to boot I get an error No OS on drive c: I am using the Smart Array 400 controller.
6 REPLIES 6
Shyna
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

may be there's a problem with the image you re using, install your OS afresh using the apropriate smartstart CD maybe 7.91 and the OS.
Bradley Dietz

I am sorry but this is not a viable option. I am attempting a disaster recovery test on a Cisco CCM machine. I need to be able to restore the image that I have with the ability to boot from the restored image. I can restore the image from Paragon but I continually get that no os error. But if I boot from the Paragon boot disk and do a search for the OS I can find it and have the Paragon boot disk boot the OS for me. Not sure if this has anything to do with the MBR or the Smart array.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Maybe the image image you are trying to install was on a different server with a different storage controller and the image has different storage controller drivers, which might cause the smart array p400, not to recognize the OS. If you had the same storage controller go to the RBSU by pressing F9 and then boot controller order and make sure the P400 is the controller 1.
Bradley Dietz

This is a Disaster and Recovery Test. The image I am using is coming from the same machine. The problem is that once the image has been restored to the primary hard drive. The system will not boot. It gives me a C: does not contain an OS error. Also mentions that the NTLDR is missing.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Bradley,

I have done several normal restorations on this hardware using a different backup product without this issue.

I have not used Paragon; does it back up the partition only or the entire drive?

What OS are you restoring? If Windows, you can often use the Recovery Console (boot from the Windows OS CD and select it when prompted). You can then repair the MBR (Master Boot Record). Check here or do a search for fix MBR:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsf/p/fixmbr.htm

Good luck!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>>C: does not contain an OS error<<<

is this a message from the restore or when trying to boot from the disk?
maybe the restored partition is not a primary partition or the aprtition is not the active partition?
look for this option in the Paragaon software.

After the restore the bootblock of the disk must be set to point to the a certain file or a certain sector on the disk for the OS to start.
could be the OS CCM uses is not handeld correctly by Paragaon so after the restore it cannot update the bootblock?

Pieter