108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 insufficient cooling solution POST error shutdown

SOLVED
Go to solution
marcel gavriliu
Advisor

DL380 G5 insufficient cooling solution POST error shutdown

I have 2 DL380 G5 servers that are failing to POST because they expect a 12 fan configuration and shutdown with "insufficient cooling solution" error. One I am not too surprised about, the other I am completely puzzled about. This is because one of them had been a 12 fan solution and I had just replaced the original fan cages with the 6 fan ones, as well as the air baffle, while the other was a brand new server with a 6 fan factory configuration to boot. Both received new CPUs, a pair of L5420 each. Can changing the CPU alone cause this behavior?

An older post suggests that for the first server I might need to also replace the fan control board, but why isn't the second one working? What am I missing?
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi marcel

did you fix it?

which is the POST error? 1611?
any LED - light in System Board?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
marcel gavriliu
Advisor

I don't know what to do to fix the issue. Both systems are acting the same:

Internal health LED is red: critical.

Orange LEDs for fans # 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 and corresponding error 1611 at POST. Fan solution not sufficient. Critical error. Shutdown.

I am completely puzzled why this is happening on the system that came with 6 fans from the factory.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

check this

DL380 G5 6 fan configuration there is a jumper that goes on the one of the unused fan connectors (fan connector #6). If this jumper in not installed or not seated correctly you can get the error you are getting

in case jumper is missing you should call HP and get a replacement part (not the jumper of course) it will be a fan spare that will have the jumper

regards
marcel gavriliu
Advisor

Seems I knocked the jumper out when I removed the air baffle. Everything works fine now that I reseated the jumper, at least with the server that had one.

Now I wonder if I need a new fan board at all for the older server that had 12 fans. Would a jumper be all that's needed to make it work with 6 fans?
marcel gavriliu
Advisor

Karlo, do you have a part number for the part that acts like a jumper?

"in case jumper is missing you should call HP and get a replacement part (not the jumper of course) it will be a fan spare that will have the jumper"
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the jumper will come with the Fan Board for the Six fan model

442955-001 Fan board, 6-fan model*

but "Now I wonder if I need a new fan board at all for the older server that had 12 fans. Would a jumper be all that's needed to make it work with 6 fans?"

not really sure about it, Maybe I can do some more research tomorrow now I am leaving

regards
marcel gavriliu
Advisor

Thanks Karlo, that is the part I have on order.

I am still wondering if a jumper alone would do the trick, but I can see why it wouldn't, since the fan board might have not originally been designed with 6 fans in mind.