SOLVED
Go to solution
Capel
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G5 - locks up - hangs ...

hi

I have a DL380 G5, W2003 SP2, PSP 7.91, Firmware latest also, NC373i NIC cards
Server is connected to switch
also no NIC teaming configured each NIC has an IP address.

the problem is server works fine but every time someone tries to access internet server just locks up - hangs - freezes and the only way to continue working is rebooting server manually

system board has been replaced, 2 PCUs, 2 PPMs, 4 memory modules but the problems is still there

we've tried:
disable TOE, RSS, connection 100 Mb, downgrade driver for multifunction NIC card. but still the same

any idea what would be causing this???

bye
9 REPLIES 9
seehigh
Advisor

Re: DL380 G5 - locks up - hangs ...

There is something with PSP 7.91 and NIC's
try:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. At the command prompt, type:

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

3. Press the ENTER key.

then try again to connect to the web !!!

if this does not help you, try load OS with Smartstart CD 7.70 from scratch !!!

Goog luck
Kensy2
Frequent Advisor

hi

yes we disable TOE already no change.

OS was reinstalled already also

Regards
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor
Solution

so all three have to be stopped - chimney, toe and RSS.

And do you have a bluescreen? Do you have a domain? Does the issue occur when you configure a simple closed network between two servers for example?
Do you get dumpfiles? If so - can you upload here a minidums?

Do you have a network - monitoring software (not the HP NCU - I mean non-hp networking software), also it is interesting what your antivirus is.

And very important - when the server is in hang condition - can you ping it, do you see anything through ilo remote console.

Regards,
Kensy2
Frequent Advisor

mmmm you know what
" so all three have to be stopped - chimney, toe and RSS."

not chimney I was a little confuse because TOE and RSS can be disabled from NIC cards but I thought and now I realized I was bad TOE is not chimney

I'm going to try that...

--
no blue screens, no minidumps

---
when th server hangs server just stops I mean packets using ping are lost no communication at all

-- also when I do changes in network settings for nic cards sometimes take long time to apply them or server hangs and I need to reboot it again

Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

This is really strange :(
And what about the network - are you a domain user?

And when the server is in hang-condition, can you connect to the ILO (there is an rj-45 port on the back of the server), it is used for diagnostics and management... It is interesting for me if it works.

So in the ilo there is an option to create a non-maskable interrupt... This could probably make windows to cause a dumpfile.

And one more thing - do you have an antivirus software?

cockneyfox

Hi.
did you mangage to get a resolution to this?
We have a very similar issue where a DL380G5 locks when running SQL 2005. Seems to be the same, cannot TS on the server or make any mappings but the box still replies to pings. We are thinking this must be hardware related\hardware driver or bug etc.
Many Thanks
Tony
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

cockneyfox

Hi Pac.
Thanks a lot for the info. I will give this ago and see what happens.
Much appreciated
Thanks
Tony
cockneyfox

Hi Pac.
Thanks for the advice. As you advised, I ended up updating the firmware pack (it looks like there is an even later version available now...8.00).

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and also the E200 controller driver to 1.20 (24th Jan 2007).

This did the trick so thanks a lot. We ended up creating a script to put the server under pressure and crash it on demand which was good. After applying the updates the above, the server no longer crashed. I think the key was the E200 controller. This was the only server of about 25 running the same software system that had the E200 controller fitted.
Thanks a lot Pac.
Much appreciated. I think everyone with an E200 should consider this update (note: at the time of writing, this update is not included in any update packs).
Cockneyfox.