4734 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 nic teaming issue

Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G5 nic teaming issue

hi

i have a DL380 G5, in configured HP teaming and put all settings to automatic (recommded) and left everything else default

assigned an IP address to the HP team and everything works well and status shows 200mb full , (i have 10/100mb switches not giga), and it shows status transmit load balancing with fault tolerance (TLB) i noticed that in the HP team nic1 is tx/rx and nic2 is transmit only mode

i wanted to test the HP team so i disconnected the nic that is in transmit only mode and i can no longer make any RPC calls but icmp and nslookup for instance continue to work.

when i plug the transmit only cable back in the situation remains the same, only when i unplug the tx/rx nic do things start to work again. when i plug the tx/rx nic cable back in the hp team goes back to 200mb full and everytying works. conclusion is unplugging tx/rx nic is okay but unplugging the tx only nic causes the hp team to stop working.

i have installed lastest firmware and nic drivers being driver version 9.3.0.0 and nic hardware is NC373i running on windows 2003 r2 x64 enterprise edition.

i tested other dl proliant servers i have (windows 2003 sp2 standard x86) and with the same settings i do get a working failover without any of the above issues.

anyone else seen this?
cheers

i t
7 REPLIES 7
Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

problem is now solved but it introduced a new problem

i disabled the hp team, rebooted and reenabled it and now i can unplug any nic cable and it failsover correctly

i do get an error now when i click on vlan tab in the hp teaming utility and it tells me that the .xml file is corrupt and should be reinstalled from media, we are getting exactly the same error on another dl380 g5 with w2003 r2 enterprise x64 on another server with older drivers and hp software 9.1 instead of 9.3

is the xml error sometime that happens often and how can you get rid of this.

am at least pleased the original error has disappeared, as that was a real issue
Cream

Hello
Have you tried to uninstall NCU and then install it again ?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

try this

either disable TOE in NIC properties in NCU, save changes and open NCU again and test VLAN again

if that does not fix issue
try NCU version 9.2

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

tried to TOE option
did not make a difference

one thing i would like to add, i do not use the VLAN section.

i hate to ask this but how do you uninstall just the NCU 9.3? i cannot find this in the add/remove programs. i will try 9.2 and 9.3 as well

again many thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

to uninstall NCU

you go to network connections, double click in any LAC and select properties you will find Network configuration utility as another protocol like TCP you click on it and uninstall it, reboot and try NCU 9.2

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

hi

i uninstalled version 9.3 rebooted and have now installed version 9.2 and i am getting exactly the same issue

btw i am not planning on configuring the vlan tab paramaters, it is just annoying this comes up each time

Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

i found the answer on this forum under MS networking

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1223546607483+28353475&threadId=1144092

it worked!, vlan error has gone away!