ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753819 Members
8144 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380-G5 power supplies overheat when plugged in but off

Paul Haldane

We're seeing an unusually high number of failures of G5 PSUs (hardly ever had PSU failures with previous generations).

Is there a way to query the revision of the installed PSUs via SNMP?
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

No, the revision can only be determined by taking a look at the sticker..
blairono

Hi everyone,

I must agree that there is a serious problem with those PSU. I work for a service provider "partner" of HP, and we are ordering several psu form that model per week. I only saw that kind of problem +- 6years ago with the release of the first proliant ML350.
For the 379123-001, i noticed that the rev 03M was particularly hit by failure.
I don t know if it's a bad design or bad component quality, since i never found an official Service Advisory from HP.
Thank if someone can link me to an official advisory, so we could take ProActive action for our customers
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

For HP and Channel Partner Internal Use

Do you know what INTERNAL means? "PARTNER"
Adie
Occasional Advisor

Replaced nearly all my DL380-G5 PSU's (80 odd). They started to melt the white gunk in the rear of the units. Serious safety issue in my mind.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Thanks for pointing it out chongkan, I have requested it to be removed;

Regards,
James.
Korhan Balimtas

We have 3 GL380 G5 with dual rps. When we received them brand new, I noticed that none of the rps fans worked. I thought that is strange. I did some research and did not find anything. Then a rps went bad and I replaced it. Voila! The fans were working on the replaced rps. I am getting ready to replace another rps that went bad as I write this. Well, I just replace the another rps and no the fans are not working. So, I have a rack with 3 GL380s and one rps has working fans and the other five do not. I have the environment set at 68 degrees.
Stephen Blum

We have three dl380-g5 servers; have replaced power supplies on one server twice and another server once in three months.

Never experienced nor do we have a problem like this with previous models retired or still in production.

Something is wrong with power supply on this model.
wsmith05
Occasional Advisor

We had both power supplies fail within the last 2 days on an HP DL380 G5 server. In both cases the server also powered down while it was in a degraded power state. I was told by HP that at least one of the power supplies was defective and we can tell by looking at the power supply if it is defective or not. This is the informtion that I received.

Servers affected are the DL380 G5 and ML370 G5
If the power supply is Rev03 or lower and does not have a green dot then it is defective. It also may have a red dot and that also means it is defective.

Anyone else aware of this issue and is this defect documented anywhere?
Korhan Balimtas

Another rps unit went bad on 11/7, received confirmation that a replacement unit shipped on 11/7. Today is 11/9, no unit. I called and it will be here 11/12, four days later. Count them ladies and gentelmen, one, two, three, four days later!

I thought we had guaranteed service next day for parts, am I wrong? Hello, HP, can you hear me?