cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G5 windows 7 professional installation

efirkey
Advisor

DL380 G5 windows 7 professional installation

Can you install windows 7 on a DL380 G5?

Thank you.

22 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G5 windows 7 professional installation

Hi,

Windows Server operating system is supported on servers.

Windows 7 you may try to install for your curiosity but later it may blue screen because it cannot find Array controller or chipset drivers.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

No you can't Install it, First of all when you Install it you can't get support from HP because this OS is not supported.

You can't find any Drivers for your Hardware components
I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Even though Windows 7 isn't supported on most ProLiant platforms it does have a driver that will work with most of the Smart Array controllers. I've never tested on a G5, if it sees the disks during installation, it should work. It may not have the drivers for the NICs, but most drivers for 2008 will work with Windows 7.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pkfox
Advisor

I've just installed Win 7 on a ML330 and it works perfectly.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

if you install an unsupported OS, you can't get support from HP technical support, also the New way to update your server for Critical firmmawre isn't supported under Windows 7

I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

scharchouf wrote:

if you install an unsupported OS, you can't get support from HP technical support, also the New way to update your server for Critical firmmawre isn't supported under Windows 7

That statement is partially true. You get hardware support from HP regardless of what OS is installed, you can only get software support for supported OS's.

efirkey
Advisor

which generation of ML330 did you have a successful installation on?

pkfox
Advisor

G6

msnn
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 G6 windows 7 professional installation

i m trying to install windows 7 on DL380 G6 but its not booting from CD ROM

Pls help.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G6 windows 7 professional installation

msnn wrote:

i m trying to install windows 7 on DL380 G6 but its not booting from CD ROM

Pls help.

If the system has a CD drive make sure you're not trying to boot a DVD.....

CarstenKnudsen
Occasional Visitor

Ugh ...  most useless thread I have seen today.  OP posts a simple question, and several "HP employees" run to the rescue saying "You cannot b/c it is not supported".  Blah!  

I am obviously reading this because I am trying the same thing (as OP) and it doesn't work smoothly out of the box.  I got one version (the newest) of the Win2008/x64 driver for SA P400 and the Win7 installer accepts the driver, even as being "compatible" - but then moves on to say that no drives are found, which is not what the ROM SA config utility claims.  P400 FW is 6.86 - not newest but not terribly old either, relatively speaking.   Anyone has a *relevant* idea why?  HP employees are welcome as long as they do not say "unsupported" :-)

thx,

Carsten

Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Operating system Windows 7 is not supported on server DL380 G5.

Please refer to the documents below : 

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04282492

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

I am an HP employee
nixeco
Occasional Contributor

It is my opinion that HP needs to support, at least passively, desktop windows on proliant servers.

Especially older ones.

Running desktop windows is my retirement program for aging servers.

I think I need to build on servers that support that migration.

I have an old server that uses an Intel server bd, but Intel does give Win 7 pro drivers for that MB.

These are cheap rackable servers that can do what I need at far less than HP.

Otherwise this genocidal policy from Page Mill Rd dooms my old gear to the recycle bin.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you poke around, while not officially supported (except on the workstation blades) Win 7 will run on most ProLiant servers. The only odd driver required is the Smart Array controller (it is in Win7 for some of the 'P' series controllers) Some NIC drivers may not be on the Win7 media but cn be found. Hint, Windows 2008 drivers work in Windows 7

Rob_at_NSIT
Advisor

@ HP employees you should recommend to your uppers that supporting professional desirable operating systems like Windows 7 and 10 on servers that have the room to be made professional work stations like the 380 370 350 is a good idea and there is a demand.  Servers without the expandability to install a video card, audio or other necessary items like USB 3 could easily be ignored.  You all ready have drivers that natively support the server OS that OS that is based on the client.

For anyone stumbling across this the DL3** G5 – G7 series will support XP, XP64, 7x64, you need to use the drivers for 2003, 2003R264, 2008 (r2 for some NIC).  Vista should also work but I have never tried them.

G8-9 should work with Windows 7 x 64 but will have the same issues that any UEFI hardware has with legacy OSes.

Widows 8 32bit can be supported on the ML370 G6 but it is unstable.  64 bit is more stable but you have to setup the boot to ask you so you can select ignore driver signing. 

I have never tested 10 but it should work if 2012r2 drivers are used, but the headaches of 8 make me unwilling to try.   The biggest issue with 8+ is MS started to use different signing roots for the client vs server editions as such you have to boot them with driver signature disabled.  This also puts Gen 8 and Gen 9 at risk of T0 UEFI viruses since your UEFI booting the system with secure boot disabled. 

dsnyder567
Occasional Visitor

I know I am late to the thread... Just Installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on a DL380 G7, used Windows 2008R2 drivers, no errors in device map. Most of the HP utilities work including the array config tools, other I will check.

CrashFive
Occasional Visitor

I'm trying to install W7 on a DL360 Gen9. When I try to boot directly from the media I receive a lot of error codes on the screen. However, if I use HP Intelligent Provisioning software and try to install W7 I receive the message "Please insert the correct media."

I'm assuming this Proliant server will not recognize W7 OS for installation?

Mihai845
Collector

I have installed win7 x64 pro on dl380 g6 without any issues using USB botable win iso. Have also installed on the riser one pcie x8 HD Nvidia Video Card and USB Audio Card to make the station fully functional as a very powerfull desktop computer 😂.
SystemPro
Occasional Advisor

Wanted to try Windows 7 x64 on a DL380 G4, but had problems to load the SA 6i driver (Win2008 x64). Had another server with 2008 x64 on it and just ran setup from the Win7 DVD and ran upgrade. To my suprise i worked and i suppose it was because it saw it like a Vista upgrade?

Took a drivercapture when finished and could then PXE boot the G4 and run a clean Win7 install. The only driver that were missing was for the ATI graphics, but i put in a PCI Geforce GT610 and had a decent video output. That card also worked in a DL380 G3, but did never bother to get Windows 7 x86 run on that.

If this method worked for a G4 i think a G5 should work aswell.

TechDude
Occasional Visitor

You can virtualize Win7, or any VMWARE workstation supported OS on the DL380 G5. You need to install Windows server 2003 R2, then install VMWARE workstation Ver. 11, then install Win7 as a virtual machine. This is a very good solution due to the DL380 G5 natively supporting VMWARE virtualization, so there should be no incompatability drama with VMWARE.

Partially solved....

TechDude
Occasional Visitor

Sorry my bad,

in my last reply I mentioned MS 2003 R2. It was a typo....

It should of been MS Server 2008 R2 SP1. That version will run VMWARE v11.xx workstation

MS server 2003 will run vmware v10.xx workstation and under.

All vmware workstation versions listed above will run Win 7 x64.

acaleb
Occasional Visitor

Guys,

I had installed Windows 7 ultimate edition in HP Proliant GL380 G7  successfully

1 issue I still have is "Base System Device" / PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3307&SUBSYS_3309103C&REV_04 
driver pending 

Anyone helps me is highly appreciated