108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G5 with P400 Controller - SAS & SATA disk query

SOLVED
Go to solution
pjf39

DL380 G5 with P400 Controller - SAS & SATA disk query

Hi

I'm new to supporting servers and have a problem which I'm hoping someone can help resolve.

I've searched these forums for 2 days and cannot find a similar query which has been answered.

Have DL380 server running out of disk space. Currently has 2 disks (RAID 1) for OS and 6 x disks (SAS 146GB in RAID 5) for Data. Boss has bought 6 500GB SATA drives to replace the 6 SAS drives but when we replaced the first SAS Disk with a SATA disk, the ACU cannot identify it and "fails" the disk - it doesn't rebuild the array. P400 already had it's firmware updated to latest (and BIOS update too) which was supposed to fix a problem with it failing good SATA drives.

Can P400 in a DL380 have a combination of both types of drive in the same RAID 5 array or do all disks need to be replaced at once and data restored from backup?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can have mixed drives on the controller.

But you can't mix drives within an array.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

pjf39

Not the reply I was hoping for but I suspected that may be the case.

Thanks very much for the clarification.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

Note, aboute the mixing. It is SAS / SATA !!

If you put in larger SAS drives in, it will rebuild fine.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

andrew rowley
Visitor

Similar - but different

We have a DL380 G5 - been running with 6 x 500GB Sata disks for some time - thought we would use some SAS 10K disks to fill in the spare slots (so no change to existing array) - tried 4 different HP 10k 73GB SAS disks all failed with steady orange and ACU could not see them but a sata disk was recognised in both of the slots so no problem with the P400 or cage???

Andrew

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,
Are you sure it is a HP hard drive, HP doesnt have hard drives of 73GB capacity it is only 72GB sas hard drives ? bought the hard drives from a certified vendor ?
Hdd matrix : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?cc=us&lang=en&objectID=c00305257&prodSeriesId=397642&prodTypeId=15351
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
andrew rowley
Visitor

Sorry - optimism rather than typing accuracy.

They are HP 72GB 10K SAS disks

Model DG072A8B54

P/N 375696-002

Andrew

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Should not be a problem mixing the drives ( Sata and sas ) , is the firmware of the controller upto date?
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
andrew rowley
Visitor

Updated to 9.3 verson of firmware dvd (i know 10.0 is out but not aware of any relevant updates) - just it does not see any of the disks - 2 were "spare" disks and when they failed we purchased 2 new ones.

Seen contradictory notes elsewhere as to whether I should physically unplug all power cables rather than just power the server down when inserting the disks?

Andrew

andrew rowley
Visitor

Ran the 10.0 DVD - updated ilo2 to version 2.7 otherwise no change - still no SAS disks being recognised.

Confused

Andrew