4693 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 G5 with new Graphics Card doesn't show any POST messages

morillo
Frequent Visitor

DL380 G5 with new Graphics Card doesn't show any POST messages

Hi

Our customer bought a new ATI FirePro V4800 for his DL380 G5. He needed two video digital outputs from server to a couple of LED TV devices.

I installed this card on x8 riser card slots but I dindn't get any video output from DisplayPorts or DVI port at ATI FirePro card. I can't see any POST messages either.

My questions are:

- Is It a supported configration for Proliant Servers and Graphics Cards?.

- What else can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

I ran HP SPP and updated FW for all components in DL380 G5

Thanks in adavance,

Regards

P.S. This thread has been moved  from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - Hp Forums moderator

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

The HP ProLiant Dl380 G5 Server does not have a graphics card as an option part. Please refer to the server’s QuickSpecs:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_div/12477_div.html

Usually when an add on option graphics card is installed in any computer, then the BIOS needs to be modified for display from the add on card. However, in this server’s RBSU (ROM-Based Setup Utility) there is no option to make such settings.  This results in a conflict of resources for display and hence there is no display from the card.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy 

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

morillo
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Maikoro for your quick reply.

I visited HP Guided Troubleshooting for ProLiant Servers I found the following note referred to video output problems:

Note: All servers automatically bypass onboard video when a video expansion board is present i.e. if a add-on graphic card is installed, the onboard video adapter is disabled automatically.

Is it posible this conflict be the reason that no video signal be present in new graphics card ports?

There are other graphics cards like NVIDIA Quadro Pro xxxx certified for Proliant DL180, how does work in case of RBSU?

thanks fpr your comments,

regards

morillo
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Today I used a DIsplayPort to VGA converter to connect a VGA Monitor to first DisplayPort on ATI FirePro card.  POST came up and I also could access RBSU

Then, I tried to boot Windows Server 2008 but system hangs after loading crcdisk.sys (SAFE MODE).

No drivers installed yet for Graphics Card because available drivers are for 64 bit OS and this server has been installed with 32 bit.

Regards,

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Now that you have made the card work and access RBSU, you could try this work around:

1.) Remove the expansion graphics card.

2.) Install Windows Server 2008 in the server and also install the driver for card that will be used.

3.) Shutdown the server and then install the expansion graphics card and try if this resolves the issue.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

morillo
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I followed all steps you recommended me but by the moment I'm stuck with 32 bits driver.

Thanks and Regards,