cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G5

mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G5

I have 5 servers DL380 G5, each one of them equipped with p400 array controller.
I have a problem in copying large file 5-10GB size between array HDD.
with small files I do not have this issue but with large file I have fast speed at the beginning of copy and then the speed becomes very slow.
Can any body help?
19 REPLIES
Astolf
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380 G5

If your OS is Windows Server, you may enable the write cache in the hardware properties.

It cant solves your problem.
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

I have windows 2003 R2
Astolf
Occasional Advisor

Enable the write cache in the hardware properties of the Windows Server 2003R2 and your problem will be solved.
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

I enabled this option in both windows and array controller settings but nothing happened, the speed still as it was
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, how are you measuring the speed?
Can you try another way to transfer files? Like for example FTP instead of windows file sharing?
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

when I am trying to copy 1 GB file it takes less than 20 seconds, while for 10 GB it gives at the beginning that it will take 3 minutes but it takes about 30 min.
I tried to copy using FTP and the speed was not more than 90 Mbps
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Have you tried to change duplex settings on the NIC?
Are you connecting via a switch? Do you have any settings on the switch?

How many disks do you have? What RAID setting? What kind of disks? How much RAM does the server have? How does the CPU useage or RAM/pageing look while copying files?
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

Have you tried to change duplex settings on the NIC?
>>>>NO

Are you connecting via a switch? Do you have any settings on the switch?
>>> No special setting

How many disks do you have?
>>We have 8 disks

What RAID setting?
>>2 as RIAD 1+0
>>6 as RAID 5
>>attached herewith array conf.

What kind of disks?
>>>SAS 146

How much RAM does the server have?
>>>4GB

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, one thing you could try then is to changing the duplex between auto and 1gbit -full.

Also, as seen on the screenshot. The array accelerator is not activated. Do you have a battery backed write cache attached to it?
That would improve the performance a lot.

mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

I have enabled write cache but I get 100% read and 0% write what is the recommended settings and how I can change it

how I can check that I have cache battery
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yeah try to set it to 50/50 or 75 read and 25 write.

You can see it by opening up the server. But as far as that screenshot goes it seems like you do not have one installed.
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

Your copying speed goes down because the RAID controller's write cache is full. That means any new writes will be written directly to the physical disks. Since the write caches on the physical disks are disabled, write speed is very slow.

DO NOT enable the write caches on the physical disks unless you know what you're doing.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yep. If you turn on the write cache on the disks, you run he risk of losing data in case of a power loss. The array accelerator have a battery attached to it so data stored in that cache can survive a power loss.
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

Currently Iam confused, shall I enable write cache or not.
we have windows write cache and array write cache, which one we should use.
I have enabled the write cache on one of the servers with 100% read and 0% write. writing to mirror disks improved while writing to RAID 5 one still as it was.
Could you advice from where I can change write case percentage setting as I could find it GUI?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The cache can be changed from array configuration utility.

You can change the write cache on the individual disks. That is however up to you as described above.
mabdelhamid
Occasional Advisor

I could not find anyway to change write cache setting, this means that I do not have the battery????
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi mabdelhamid

from quickspecs, for your server you need the battery so the cache can be enabled in the acu and set to 50 /50 read write

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/12559_div_v2/12559_div.HTML

special note %% make sure you get the battery attatch kit it includes the cable only
417836-B21 This option kit contains a 24" battery cable and adhesive material for installing a battery #

here is a full list of optional controller options for the p400

Smart Array P400 Controller
HP Smart Array P400/256MB Controller
405132-B21
HP Smart Array P400 Controller/512MB and BBWC
411064-B21
512MB Battery-backed cache upgrade
NOTE: For Smart Array P400 Controller.
405148-B21
Battery-backed write cache upgrade
NOTE: For Smart Array P400 Controller.
383280-B21
Smart Array P400 Battery Attach Kit
NOTE: This option kit contains a 24" battery cable and adhesive material for installing a battery into the server if a Smart Array P400 is integrated outside of the factory. For all solutions, please refer to the server QuickSpecs and User's Manual for detailed installation instructions.
417836-B21

let us know how you get on :)

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

almost missed this enjoy:)
Also the battery number verified in partsurfer
398648-001

Charger : Battery charger module - For HP Smart Array P400, P600, and P800 controllers

http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=&psrchmode=&partsrch=398648-001&submit.x=8&submit.y=4

marcus1234
Honored Contributor