cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380-G6 - Expanding RAID 1 array

Icetech
Occasional Visitor

DL380-G6 - Expanding RAID 1 array

I have a G6 server with a mirrored pair of 73GB 15k rpm drives for the Server 2008 R2 system/boot volume. I have 4 more 146GB drives setup in a RAID 5 for storing programs and data.

Everything is working fiine, but I now realize I should have spec'd larger drives for the OS. With active directory and SQL server installed, I only have about 15 GB of head room left on the C: drive. I'm worried that log files and other system data will eventually fill up the drive. I tried moving the 12GB swap file to the RAID 5 array but found out that Server 2008 R2 does not allow you to do this (it insists on having a swap file on the boot volume).

I want to replace the 73GB drives in the RAID 1 with larger drives. What is the most seamless way to do this? My first thought was to pull out one of the 73GB drives, replace it with a 146 and let the Smart Array controller replace the data on the new drive. Once that was complete, I could pull out the other 73, replace it too with a 146 and again allow the controller to copy over the data. Shouldn't this work? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any suggestions!
2 REPLIES
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Re: DL380-G6 - Expanding RAID 1 array

Replacing the 73GB disks one at the time is a good start (make sure it rebuilds). Next you extend the array using the array configuration utility and after that you extend the c: partition using diskpart.
No downtime required.

btw. You should be able to create a second swap file and leave only a small swap file on the c: drive.
Also SQL logging can consume a lot of diskspace but the location of he logfiles can be changed.
Webserver? you might want to look into the iis log files, they can get big.
Icetech
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380-G6 - Expanding RAID 1 array

Sounds like a plan. If I'm going to upgrade the drives, maybe I should skip the 146s and go for 300s. That way if I ever install IIS or whatever I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks for your help.