ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G6 HDD and Network Performance (ESXi 4)

ITThies
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G6 HDD and Network Performance (ESXi 4)

Hello Guys,
we are facing the following problem:
We have two new DL380 G6 Server with the following configuration (each):
1 x XEON 2,26GHz
22 GB RAM
4 x 500GB SATA HDD (7,2k MDL)
P410i Smart Array (256MB Memroy)
2 GB Nics connected

We have a VMware ESXi 4 installation on that servers and facing some strange perfomance issues.
- Very low disk speed. We are seeing a average disk speed of about 30MB/s while we are benchmarking. Some Peaks say up to 130MB/s (read rate). I cannot imagine that the SATA Disks could be the issue here.

- Very low network speed
Transfering a virtual machine (offline, migrate feature) between these hosts or from another host to this one reaches a maximum of about 5% network load on only one ethernet adapter. The servers are connected to a netgear gigabit switch with no other load or attached servers.

I´m running out of ideas where to search on. I already tried to turn on/off the hard disk write cache with no effect. Cannot believe that the write cache on the RAID controller could be the problem.

So, I hope that you guys have any ideas to handle the disk and network performance problems.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G6 HDD and Network Performance (ESXi 4)

update firmware on the 4 x controller and on disks too, ensure cache and battery are okay too.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

move large files to a local usb stick /disk what happens
ITThies
Occasional Contributor

Firmware is already up to date.
I have actually no chance to attach a local device like usb because the system is in a remote location.
Moving large files on the local vmfs storage is slow too.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

How about upgrading VMware with the latest patches.

https://www.vmware.com/mysupport/download/

I'm interested in this topic because I'm thinking of getting one of these G6'es with SATA MDL storage. I wonder how the two would compare with the same amount of disks and raid settings. you surely get a lot more storage with SATA.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

a local attatched usb is quickest way to resolve such issues

other options are to boot from smart start cd version 8.3 and run ofline diagnostics and adu rapport you can post here i will look at them

also check disk model numbers they are on the physical disk ensure you have latest firmware on them to get firmware just paste model nr in hp .com support drivers page:

also check status of cach and cach battery adu rapport will show this
enjoy :)

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)