ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752511 Members
4700 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6: How to enable Hyper-Threading?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dominik Alexander Wagne
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G6: How to enable Hyper-Threading?

Hello,

we're in the process of setting up a new DL380 G6 as a MS SQL Server for one of our clients.

The machine is equipped with one Intel Xeon E5504 Quad-Core running at 2.00 Ghz.

When I power up the server, the BIOS detects all 4 physical cores, but states that Hyper-Threading is disabled.

I went through all the available options in the BIOS, but couldn't find an option to enable Hyper-Threading.

So my question is: Is Hyper-Threading not supported on this machine? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

The Firmware should already be up to date, I've downloaded the Firmware Maintenance CD Version 8.50 beforehand, but there were no updates available for this machine.

Thanks in advance,

Dominik
10 REPLIES 10
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Boot the server, "Press F9 Key for ROM-Based Setup Utility", then go to "Advance Options" and there you should see "Processor Hyper-Threading" and you have the option to enable it. If running Linux and if you have the hp management agents installed try "#hpasmcli" then type "help", to know what options you have and one of them is to disable or enable Hyper-Threading.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi Dominik!

The Hyperthreading option should be enabled out of the box but if you go into BIOS
System Options -> Processor Options -> Intel Hyperthreading Options -> Enable

you should be able to enable it there is it is supported.

I can't say if your processor doesn't support it or not I thought all Nehalem processors would support it but as your processor is in the value range it doesn't support turbo mode and maybe the hyperthreading is also disabled.
Dominik Alexander Wagne
Occasional Advisor

Hey, thanks alot for your quick responses!

I've made a few screenshots illustrating the available BIOS options. Take a look at them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36052610@N00/3660218512/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36052610@N00/3659419779/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36052610@N00/3660218658/

As you can see, there's nothing concerning Hyper-Threading available, not even on the Advanced CPU Feature section.

As you've already said, since it's a Nehalem XEON, it should also support Hyper-Threading...I mean, even if it didn't, why should the BIOS tell me that Hyper-Threading is disabled, when it's not supported by the CPU?

Any other ideas? Should I try to contact HP directly? I couldn't find anything in the manualy, either.
James Joost
Advisor
Solution

HI,

Not all new 5500 series have hyperthreading.

The low end of the 5500 series line does not have hyperthreading or turboboost.

Only the e5520 and higher numbers have hyperthreading.

Check the following Intel document, it has a chart that list which features are present in which processor
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/xeon-5500.pdf
Dominik Alexander Wagne
Occasional Advisor

Yep, according to this document, the 5504 XEON does indeed not support Hyperthreading.

Well, what can I say, Intel's product policy is indeed quite confusing...

But I'm sure the upcoming Intel i3,i5 and i7 namechange will make this a thing of the past.
:-)

Thanks alot for your kind help everybody!
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Please read carefully where you have to enable it or disable it as indicated by myself previously:

"Advance Options" and there you should see "Processor Hyper-Threading"

"Advance Options" not "System Options"

If you don'thave the option "Processor Hyper-Threading" under "Advance Options" should be becuase Hyperthreading is not supported by your existing CPUs. If it is try a BIOS update.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

The Proliant DL380 G6 Supports X5500 and E5500 and accordingo to intel both CPUs support Hyperthreading:

X5500
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37106

These are the processors supported on your server DL380 G6. The ones with HT indicates that the processor model supports Intel├В┬о Hyper-Threading Technology.

Quad-Core Processors
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor X5570 (2.93 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 95W, DDR3-1333, HT, Turbo 2/2/3/3)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor X5560 (2.80 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 95W, DDR3-1333, HT, Turbo 2/2/3/3)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor X5550 (2.66 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 95W, DDR3-1333, HT, Turbo 2/2/3/3)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5540 (2.53 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-1066, HT, Turbo 1/1/2/2)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5530 (2.40 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-1066, HT, Turbo 1/1/2/2)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5520 (2.26 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-1066, HT, Turbo 1/1/2/2)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5506 (2.13 GHz, 4MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-800)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5504 (2.00 GHz, 4MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-800)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor L5520 (2.26 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 60W, DDR3-1066, HT, Turbo 1/1/2/2)
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor L5506 (2.13 GHz, 4MB L3 Cache, 60W, DDR3-800)
Dual-Core Processors
Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor E5502 (1.86 GHz, 4MB L3 Cache, 80W, DDR3-800)
NOTE: HT indicates that the processor model supports Intel├В┬о Hyper-Threading Technology.
NOTE: Turbo indicates the maximum potential frequency increment when using Intel├В┬о Turbo Boost Technology, with 4, 3, 2, and 1 cores active.
NOTE: DDR3 speed is the maximum memory speed of the processor. Actual memory speed may depend on the quantity and type of DIMMs installed.
NOTE: For the Intel 5500 Series, the letter preceding the model number indicates the performance/wattage of the processor. "X" denotes High Performance/Wattage; "E" denotes Enterprise Performance/Wattage (Mainstream); and "L" denotes Lower Wattage.
NOTE: Up to 2 processors supported. Performance configurations include two processors. Mixing different processor models is not supported.

Check the DL380 G6 Quickspects:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13234_div/13234_div.html

Check what kind of CPU you have, if your CPU supports Hyperthreading according to the quickspecs you can enable it, but keep in mind it is under

"Advance Options"
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

The earlier poster is correct -- only the 5520 upwards support HT -- which means (depending on the OS and Apps) HT can be a significant performance booster.

On some OSes.. it will show you will have 8 processors on a single Nehalem CPU which supports HT (HyperThreading) -- with each core supporting 2 threads).

There really should only be no more than 300 dollar difference between the 5504 and the 5520. With the latter -- you also get faster memory.
Hakuna Matata.
Madhu Shah
Occasional Contributor

What is the default BIOS setting for HT capable cpus on a G6 server, is it enabled or disabled by default? Thanks.