ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753502 Members
4990 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G6 Loud Fan Noise

David Steel

DL380 G6 Loud Fan Noise

I have just found that upgrading the firmware on the ILO2 to v1.80 caused the fans to run at 78% constantly.

I downgraded the firmware to 1.79 and the speed reduced to 13% and was obviously much quieter.

I tried the upgrade/downgrade several times and repeated the increase/decrease in fan speed (and noise).
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G6 Loud Fan Noise

Yep, HP is aware of that.

Should be fixed in version 1.81.
David Steel

Hi Johan G,
Do they have a KB article or forum posting which refers to this? I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything which specifically related to my hardware and the actual fan speeds/noise

Thanks
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

if you remove pci cards if installed in the riser cage see now it gets much quieter

this is not a fault but actually by design

try 2 power supplies and full set of fans and it will get quieter, but when using cards in riser card expect more noise this is by design..
also stay with FW 1.79 for now..
Jacob Thrane Lund

Upgrading to ILO2 v1.82 will also fix the problem.
Shawn Clark11

I just received a new DL380 G6 yesterday and began to set it up. Despite the problems of Windows 2003 Enterprise blue screening on the install many times. I was alarmed at how the fans would crank up and continue to run at 100%. I actually thought the thing was going to take off at one point.

After much googling, reading forum posts, and trying all the suggestions including removing the riser card, updating all firmware, drivers, etc... I came across this support document posted below. In a nutshell it says, "...change the THERMAL COOLING value in the RBSU to OPTIMAL COOLING" Well, my server was already set to "OPTIMAL COOLING". However, when I changed it to "Increased Cooling" the fans slowed to about 1/3 of the speed and noise. It is at least a tolerable noise level now.

FWIW, I am running ILO2 firmware v2.0

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3884082&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01871972
ekems
Occasional Visitor

I had the same problem. After a server restart the fans got crazy and worked full speed. The solution that worked for me was

-power off the server

-unplug power supply cords, for time enough in order to see the network card's lights go black.

-plug the power supply cords back on

-power on the server

Have a nice life!

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

What iLO2 version do you have?

If iLO2 stops responding for some reason, the system PAL takes over the FANs and ramps them up to max speed.  We have fixed numerous issues where iLO2 could stop responding since iLO2 v1.81