1752812 Members
6007 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6 NetWare 6.5 install hangs

Bud Durland
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G6 NetWare 6.5 install hangs

Trying to install NE6.5 on a new DL380G6. 2 Raid sets, one 72GB for boot and SYS: volume, one 600GB (raid1+0) for date. Downloaded latest drivers and put them in C:\NWUPDATE. The install starts fine, all hardware is detected, until I create the SYS volume. Right after that, the install hangs, and the last message on the console is "Creating Swap on SYS". After about 15 or 20 minutes, I get lots of warnings that the SYS volume has been dismounted.

SuSE linux seems to install ok on this server, so I'm not sure it's failed hardware.

Any advice appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15
Jim Van Elswyk
Occasional Visitor

Hi Budd:
Just dealt with this problem for the last 5 days. After alot of dealing with HP engineers(who were helpful) figured out it is the firmware of the P410i controller. My firmware version was 2 if I recall. All I did was booted to the firmware CD that is in the CD packet(version 8.50) and down graded the the firmware of the P410i to version 1.58. What a relief, that worked for me.
The technician said a new version of firmware is coming out early next year. No thanks for now. Its working. I'm not playing with fire. Hope this works for you as well.
Cheers
Bud Durland
Occasional Contributor

yay! That was the fix. Many thanks.
ernie booth

I had almost the same issue. On installing NW 6.5 SP7, it would not install a Sys Volume. Said I had no Free Space, when it fact I had 836.2 GB. I downgraded the Firmware from 1.78 to 1.58. Went back to install Netware, this time after creating a Sys Volume, it did allow me to continue installation with any problems. Yes!

I had started building this new server on 11/16/09. I first had the Storage Driver issue with HPQCISS.HAM. I have spent 3 days trying to get past the Sys Volume issue. Much web searching. My server is a HP ML350 G6, with 4 - 300 GB SAS drives on RAID 5. My first time using these specs on a Netware server. Much and many thanks to you Jim Van Elswnk. Yahoo! I have another new HP server with 4- 750 GB HD's to build next with Netware. Will use this just for media files.
Mark_120
Advisor

I have an identical issue with the 4 new DL380's we just got.
An earlier one by a couple of months works fine - the P410i version is 1.62.
I might try downgrading these new ones to that same version as well to see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the info.

Mark
SMR
Valued Contributor

For anyone out there who still has problems after trying the fw downgrade (usually people with RAID 5) try a RAID 1+0 and remove the cache from the controller until the new firmware comes out. Cache could simply be installed and RAID 1+0 logical drives migrated to RAID 5 once fw is released.
Mark_120
Advisor

Downgraded all four to 1.62 and problem solved on them, Raid5 over 6 disks with 512MB cache & battery backup, NW installed fine - untill new FW updates come out.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Jim Van Elswyk
Occasional Visitor

I have a DL 380 G6 with the P410i(firmware version 1.58) controller with Netware 6.5 SP8 installed and thought I would try the newest firmware update(2.5)a few days ago and it hung trying to mount the sys volume. Downgraded the firmware and it works again

I am fortunate to have this server to test with for now. Makes me think they are not testing firmware updates with Netware even though it is "Yes" certified.
Elliott Scott
Occasional Advisor

Recently tried latest firmware: 2.72, revved up from 2.00. Had to do this after initial attempt to build NW65SP8 server failed with the same conditions. After 2.72 install, server build worked out very well, but now I'm experiencing similar results when trying to fire up Backup Exec. Has anybody tried BE with the earlier rev firmware? BE9.2, RAID 5 272GB. Latest drivers from HP.

Elliott