1752619 Members
4377 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6 OS Load method

MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G6 OS Load method

Having some issues with DL380 G6 and OS load using Windows Server STD 2008r2 x64, wanting to confirm method.
Seems 2008r2 has issues with SmartStart 8.30 so we were advised to setup Array & Logical Drives then exit SmartStart.
Install 2008r2 directly from OS DVD then once up apply PSP 8.30 from download (not 8.3 Smart Start CD).
I have a G6 that I believe has problems and have requested another from Vendor as we're 2 weeks into it and on my last reload (Dec 17th) using the method above I'm counting 17 restarts...not ASR's and nothing in any log. Not sure what issue is with DL380 G6 but wondering if others have seen same behavior?
Thanks in advance-
Mark
11 REPLIES 11
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmmm, r2 can be made to work but has issues use firmware cd 8.6 boot ogf it take all firmwares for this server ensurte you remove any extra cards when doing this , its a long story,

now install 2008 r2 ,

when done reboot install psp pack and updates away you go now add the extras one at a time and the drivers too,,

if any issues arise boot of psp cd and run full diagnostics

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

Appreciate the info, but have just learned that level 2 support is aware of certain G6 REV/S-N system boards that have a thermal sensing issue. Work around is to set the server in BIOS to max performance and then seek to replace system board. See below-
DESCRIPTION
A limited number of HP ProLiant DL380 G6 servers with a system board with a revision level earlier than Rev 0S may unexpectedly reboot. The only message that is logged by server hardware or HP utilities is in the HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) Event Log is as follows:

Server Reset, Server Power Removed, Server Power Restored

When this occurs, no hardware errors are logged, no events are captured in the Integrated Management Log (IML), and the server does not perform an Automatic Server Recovery (ASR); however, the operating system log will indicate that an unexpected reboot occurred.

The processor utilization of the server may affect whether or not it will unexpectedly reboot. This issue typically occurs when the server is idle in low power mode, although it can occur during normal operation.

SCOPE
A limited number of HP ProLiant DL380 G6 servers with a system board with a revision level earlier than Rev 0S that shipped prior to October 19, 2009 (10/19/2009) 

RESOLUTION
For HP ProLiant DL380 G6 servers encountering unexpected server reboots, contact HP customer support.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

mark i have dealt with over 250 of these

look but neber the less they way you setup server could be the issue...

okay folks
they are not faulty boards per say but some may have issues ..

power profile works on some servers only it is part of the issue, changing it just makes server use a bit more power so it is not so green etc..

also check iml log in ilo look for event id 57

and if you get event id 57 in windows or in iml log that is another issue easily fixed

for that 57 issue refer to this
and here you need ilo firmware , and management controller then reboot

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01802766тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3884113&prodTypeId=15351

if iml log only reports server shutdown and unexpected reboots , and they do not mention any device

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again-
after what was my 7th reload (with feeling...) I'm looking to get the system up and installed/racked and operational.

For me the 8.6 FW didn't show anything needed to be updated FW wise (checked that last week), other than an Emulex fiber card, I didn't allow that.

Checking my S/N and see I have 937 and rev 0P ...date range may run longer than some know...my description hit the nail on the head there, restarts, nothing in any log...
Mark
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

date range is precise also look for advisory re the p4ooi controller dont have it at hand now..will look
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

here is part of issue too excert..

. HP made the determination that our servers reboot because of a known HP bug in the P410i controller with firmware v1.66 and 512MB cache module. During periods of high I/O (ex..backups) our servers either hang or reboot. We have also lost faith in HP tech support as they have not provided any solution to our problem and don't give an ETA on the permanent fix. All they offer is a workaround that hasn't seemed reliable either. The text below is from an email that I received from an HP tech on 12/1/09:

-------------------------
This issue is a known issue by engineering already (no confidential/public advisories on this yet) and there is a firmware that will be release to fix this.

The problem is with firmware /cache/raid configuration (512 cache decrease the performance and the 2.50 patch provided is not solving this issue yet). Lock ups will be address by the new firmware and in the meantime recommended configurations are:

1-rev 1.58/1.66 on both controllers to avoid errors (as it was to about error but can experience lock ups)

2-newer revisions without the 512 controller cache to avoid lock ups

The first is the most recommended workaround till the firmware is release and if possible leave it working without the controller cache, but till now there is no actual fix.

As I mention, engineering is already working on this and it will be release in a month or so.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

goodluck i have resolved a great dealof these without replacing a motherboard issue is broad unfortunately, but go through them and you should be sorted , provided initial install was solid. and to the book..
MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

So with our date range being some 13 weeks past the reported date 924, and the rev 0P on system board does that put this system in that range or not? See you stated the date range was specific earlier. Appreciate the info on the Array controller will double-check that, although, at this point no large I/O's were present on G6.

Take care-
Mark