1753295 Members
6317 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6 SAS Backplane Firmware update problem

ERLB
Occasional Advisor

I never unplugged it when it was still running, the first time, it took about 20 minutes to finish and it reported a failure at the end. The next time, the process took about the same wait time, it was reported as success in the end but the flashing persisted.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

In my case it stopped flashing.
The PIC was completet.
But it failed to continue with the P410, the ILo? (Not sure) and The BIOS.
So it had to reboot, from HPSUM.

It should have continued (I think), enven thoug I had removed the USB stick, since the fw is loaded into memeory.

I did update ILo to 2.01 and P410i to 3.50.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Correction !!

I used FW DVD 9.10 (C).

Sorry

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

ERLB
Occasional Advisor

That version was still not released at the time when I was performing the upgrade, I resorted to the USB method.

Besides the failing firmware update for one of the PICs, all the other (iLO, P410, ...) succeeded, even the second PIC succeeded, all from the firs try.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Are you aware, that you can copy newer FW into the FW CD / DVD?

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

ERLB
Occasional Advisor

I did that with the USB that I created. I created it from the newest DVD that was available at the time. Individual firmwares were already updated past what was present on the DVD so I added them to the flash disk and performed the update using the newest version available.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

So did I.

And now I'm really messing up.
Just re-chekked my image.

I did use 9.10 (B).

Sorry again.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Patty Nelke

Same issues on 3 DL380 G6 servers.
First system the drives looked fine from the factory but I like to update first thing. Used firmware 9.10a but with all the supplemental updates I could find at the time (about 2 weeks ago). First update said it completed successfully, but then the drives showed the 4 blue lights flashing continually on the left bank, and no lights onthe right. Going into the array setup the system showed drive 5, 6, 7 and 8... and again, 5, 6, 7 and 8. A build would not go onto the system as it couldn't find the drive, though I could create logical drives. I booted back to firmware and found that the array controller hadn't updated, so pushed it back to 3.5 and rebooted. All was well.

2nd system all the firmware except the 24k20 PIC showed as current, even the array controller. Re-pushed the array to 3.5 again and pushed the backplane. Same problem. Downloaded 9.10c and applied it. Issue went away.

Haven't tackled the 3rd system yet, trying to narrow down what specific components are at play.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Try 9.10(c)

But do let it hang, with the flashing blue LED's.
It will continue after appr. 30 min.
And tell you that some FW has failed.
Then reboot and re-run fw upgrade.

This way you won't risk it to fail during falsh of a component.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

apb
Advisor

I know this is an old thread, but for any future internet searchers, it looks like this firmware that was causing issues in 2010 is still causing issues in 2013:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/268756-urgent-smart-array-orphaned-drives

HP has not fixed the firmware updater even though their firmware writers have known of the issue for at least a year and their firmware team doesn't have configurations with 16 drive bays for testing.

Sad.  Workaround found by Marvin Miller is to only have one backplane at a time plugged in and, if possible, don't use a SAS expander for the firmware update.  I only found out about this AFTER I started searching for "hp backplane sas firmware how long" via Google.  Probably also a good idea to unplug your drives before updating, too, lest you suffer data loss.

Luckily I am running into this issue on a newly-bought DL380 G6 so even if it goes south I won't suffer any data loss.