New Discussion

Re: DL380 G6 Second 8SFF Bay

SOLVED
Go to solution
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G6 Second 8SFF Bay

Hi,

I have a DL380 G6 with 8 SFF drives and recently purchased the additional 8SFF Bay kit: 516914-B21 and sas expander 468406-B21 as i plan to install 16 SFF drives. The server is at a datacenter and before i would go there for this maintenance to install the new bay kit and sas expander i wanted to make sure that this is all the components i need. Could someone please confirm this ? Would i also need a new/different front bezel plastic or i can just remove the dvd-rom and insert the new bay ?

Thank you in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7
Renjiv
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Yes, you may proceed with the installation using the 8SFF Bay kit and SAS expander card 468406-B21. Ensure that you have the mini SAS cable is also received with the SAS expander card kit.

For installation of the SFF kit, you need to remove the optical drive and optical drive cage. You do not need any extra front bezel plastic.

Follow the below link and see the video which will help you in installation.

http://thesml.hp.com/

Select Servers> HP Proliant DL servers> HP Proliant DL360 G6 server Series.

Then click on the FRU Remove/Replace option.

You will get the video in a new Windows. Also see the required tools in the same link.

I hope this will help you in installation.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much for the confirmation (that i do not need a new front bezel).

As for the provided link "could not connect to thesml.hp.com".
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Try this link: http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

I hope it will help you.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again , kudos to you :)
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Hello again,

I forgot to ask something .... As this is the first server that i have , and being colocated far away from me , i forgot it's exact structure and was wondering where do i have the plug/install the SAS Expander ? Should there be free slots on the PCI riser cage as stated on the following image ?
Item 6 from : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportDocument/c01718839/c01718934.gif

Or do i need to buy something else for the sas expander to fit ? Sorry for the "noobish" question but i just want to make sure i have all the requirements before i will get to the datacenter for this task. I'm also asking this because i cannot seem to find a picture with the standard riser , but as far as i can remember the standard riser should have 3 pci-e slots ( 1 * x16 and 2 * x8 connectors ). Hopefully someone will confirm or deny my memory , and If i had a good memory should it be recommended to install the sas expander on the x16 connector ?

Thank you in advance.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

Yes, the SAS expander goes into a PCI slot just so it has somewhere to mount, and possibly for power.  It does not actually sit on the PCI bus:  you connect the onboard SAS connectors to it, then the two cages.  There should be 3 slots on the riser -- which bizarrely is attached to the lid.

Note that an expander is not supported on DL380p Gen8 systems -- get the more-versatile 25SFF or 12LFF chassis instead, which annoyingly is CTO-only.

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info. We successfully installed the sas expander and the second drive cage.