ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752492 Members
5806 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G6 - Windows installation from USB (Can't create bootable USB disk with "USB Key Utility")

SOLVED
Go to solution
Konstantins
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G6 - Windows installation from USB (Can't create bootable USB disk with "USB Key Utility")

Hi,

We need to reuse one of the old servers. However, we can't boot it from ordinary bootable USB (created with RUFUS and works with Dell and IBM).

We also can't create a bootable disk with HP "USB Key Utility" tools as whatever image we give it app says "This CD\DVD does not support USB Key creation from an ISO file. Please use physical CD/DVD media to create the USB Key.". I try Windows Server 2012R2, Server 2016, Server 2019 freshly downloaded from Microsoft site, with RUFUS all Ok, with "USB Key Utility" not working.

Does anyone know how to create USB Key for HP Server to work? 

HP_USB_crap1.png

HP is absolutely terrible and extremely complicated when it comes to software solutions  

Regards,

Kon

2 REPLIES 2
BartW
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL380 G6 - Windows installation from USB (Can't create bootable USB disk with "USB Key Util

Hi Konstantin,

What happens when you boot the server from the RUFUS USB ? Do you get an error ? Does the server "see" the USB key and list it in the bootable options ?

I usually use RUFUS as well and it has always worked for me.

BR//Bart

Konstantins
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G6 - Windows installation from USB (Can't create bootable USB disk with "USB Key Util

Hi,

Ok, identified why 'USB Key Utility' doesn't work, it can't create 'Installers'. The 'USB Key Utility' works only with HP iso files for SmartStart CD, Firmware Maintenance CD, Smart Update Firmware DVD, Intelligent Provisioning Recovery DVD, Service Pack for ProLiant or other supported products.

@BartW thank you for the contribution, I was close to giving up, but after your comment, I thought I try few more "options", and it worked!

Now speaking about RUFUS and why it didn't work - because for Windows Server 2019 iso could only be used with NFTS Bootable 32GB USB, and unfortunately, it looks like DL380 G6 can't boot from anything but 'UEFI-Compatible' old-BIOS like USB with FAT32. At list, this is what worked for me: Solution - Rufus built USB Key on FAT32 with Windows Server 2016. Two other keys with Server 2019 and another one with Server 2016 but on NTFS didn't work - DL380 G6 with BIOS firmware 2018.05.21(A)Jul 06, 2018 couldn't see it. 

Regards,
Kon