5823 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 G6 Wont boot Virtual Media

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G6 Wont boot Virtual Media

I'm having problems on a DL380 G6 while trying to boot from virtual media:

I have ESXi installed on the internal USB port ... no idea if this might affect the booting but I'm out of ideas.

Ilo2 version 2.09
Ideas i tried:
- cd-rom first boot option ( virtual drive doesn't boot )
- external usb drives first boot option ( virtual drive doesn't boot)
- disable intel sata from bios ( virtual drive doesn't boot )
- verified virtual media port in case it's blocked ( port open , telnet works , virtual media still wont boot ).
- tried multiple java edition including even the recommended version by hp witch is : j2re-1_4_2_13 ( same story , doesn't boot)
- tried to restart ilo ( same story , doesn't boot )
- tried all the above steps from freshly installed OS's ( xp ; win7 x64  and Mac) -> same story , doesn't boot

In my case i was in need to use the firmware dvd and the new offline hp acu iso because we cannot use any hp tools due to virtualization layer. After we connect a iso image via ilo virtual media we can access the content of the iso via a guest virtual machine from ESXi but the only problem is that it just wont boot from it while restarting the server ( even tried pressing F11 at boot options to bypass the regular boot options and select option 1 to attempt to boot 1 time from cd-rom but without any success).

Hint): i also read all the ilo2 documentation and tried everything without success :(
Hint): i just had a technician that worked with a lot of servers to try it and he said something is wrong because on the boot menu (pressing F11 to bypass regular booting order) there's no "Virtual CD-ROM option" just the regular CD-ROM which should be the local installed cd-rom into the server.

hint): the technician told me that he did see a similar issue in the past when there were some bugs into the HP firmware's and the example he gave me was that virtual media didn't work when all the ram slots were in use (but this was a long time ago).

For the moment i have solved my problems by deploying the hp firmware iso and the hpacuoffline to my RIS server so i managed to boot from network to do the firmware updates and raid array tasks. But even if i solved the tasks for which i needed virtual media i still want to fix this for possible need in the near future.

Update[13.08.2012]:

- Updated ilo2 version to : 2.09 (still no help , cannot boot from virtual media cd-rom or virtual usbkey.)

- Cleared NVRAM from board switch
- Verified that virtual media port is accessible via netstat (ilo ip address: 10.60.2.104):

C:\Users\d3vnul>netstat -an|find "10.60.2.104"  
TCP 10.60.4.32:53451 10.60.2.104:443 ESTABLISHED
TCP 10.60.4.32:53452 10.60.2.104:443 ESTABLISHED
TCP 10.60.4.32:53455 10.60.2.104:443 ESTABLISHED
TCP 10.60.4.32:53456 10.60.2.104:443 ESTABLISHED
TCP 10.60.4.32:62253 10.60.2.104:17988 ESTABLISHED

So it seems that there's no networking issues since port 17988 is open/established (while having a connected iso on virtual media).

- Two days ago we installed a sas expander and second drive cage into the server and while we tried to enter ORCA we noticed there wasn't an F8 message displaying anymore. However if i pressed F8 i manage to get inside ORCA. Now i wonder if this could be the same issue with virtual media booting option ? Does anyone know the F key that needs to be pressed to boot from virtual cd-rom ? I would like to try it even if the post doesn't show it. I'm still open for any other suggestions. I also added one picture from remote console settings while having iso connected to virtual media.

Thank you in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@d3vnul wrote:

I have ESXi installed on the internal USB port ... no idea if this might affect the booting but I'm out of ideas.

Have you tried removing the internal USB device just to see if you can boot virtual media?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately i cannot do that because I'm way far from the datacenter .... and if I'm to ask the datacenter technician for admin time in order for this experiment it should cost me like 100 euros which I'm not really willing to pay for a thing that might not solve anything.

Attached some pictures from Ilo settings.

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

We haven't manage to identify or to solve this issue for a long time. Therefore we did few more tests two days ago. Updated the main post to reflect the new attempts.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

What ROM version do you have? I do remember an issue related to the G6 ROM that would prevent iLO2 Virtual Media from booting when there was another USB device connected to the server.  Latest ROM for the DL380G6 is dated 5/5/2011. I believe this one contains the fix.

System ROM: P62 01/30/2011; backup system ROM: 08/16/2010 .

I was thinking to try a firmware update on the ROM but that wasn't possible since we couldn't boot the firmware dvd from virtual media. Also while reading the changelog for 2011.05.05 ROM i cannot see anything related to this issue. I'm going to update the firmware dvd iso that we have on our RIS server and give that a try as i guess it's not possible to perform a rom update from esxi. 

Update: It seems that the ROM version that we are running (2011.01.30) should contain the fix that you stated. However we still have the same issue.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Can you tell me what other USB devices are attached to that server?

- Internal USB Port is occupied with ESXi installation

- Internal SD Card is occupied with an empty card (i installed this with the idea that if the usb hypervisor will ever 'crash' , i can install esxi on the sd card).

- All external usb ports are unoccupied

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi

I see there is a fix for this problem in BIOS Version: 2011.01.30 (B)  (17 Mar 2011)

Resolved an issue where the system would not boot from iLO Virtual USB devices when configured with multiple local USB devices. This issue is usually seen as a failure to boot an iLO Virtual Medial USB key when 2 or more USB keys are installed locally in the server. iLO Virtual Devices will now always have priority over local USB devices.

the issues is with Virtual USB devices... so physical DVD ROM should work. there isn't any option in BIOS to select virtual media drive.

Please use physical machince on the same network rather than virtual machine to mount virtual media (Firmware DVD) or an ISO image from iLo Virtual Media.

Please let me know you thoughts.

Hope this helps,

Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

cheers

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

We have more colocated servers under the same rack/networking. All of them are working as expected without any issues related to virtual media. Only this DL380 G6 causes us this problems.

As for the Guest VM (installed on the machine) , we only tried to access the mounted iso from virtual media as a test to see if it's really mounted and that we can access the mounted iso content.

So the mounted iso from virtual media it's loaded without problems and it can be accessed. The only problem is making the server to boot from it. We even tried to mount the iso from ilo ssh with the same results (not booting). While the rest of the servers under the same rack/networking are performing without this kind of problems. So it's an isolated problem only to this machine.