5617 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6 hangs booting ESXi while initializing power management

Vlad-ASTIS
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G6 hangs booting ESXi while initializing power management

Hi,

I have a problem which occurs randomly when the server boots up. It is a standalone ESXi host. It hangs when initializing power management.

I have read suggestions to turn off power management and ACPI in ESXi's boot configuration and also to set Power Management to OS Controlled in BIOS.

I have tried to find out how to disable ACPI in the BIOS but could not see the settings to do so. Is ACPI setting visible in BIOS? Also, will setting the Power Management to OS Controlled resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Vlad

EDIT:

It seems that setting the Power Regulator to OS Controlled most likely resolved the issue. It has cold-booted and hot-booted several times without issues.

6 REPLIES 6
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

this try resolution.

During system boot, press F9 to enter the RBSU.
Select Power ManagementOptions.
HP PowerProfile.
Select Maximum Performance.
Save and exit RBSU.
ESXi version ?

Regards.

Erdogan

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

kanchisharma
Advisor

Hi,

To add to previous point, for more information and screenshots of RBSU for G6 Server Click here to access Guided Troubleshooting. Follow this directions : Configuration and setup > Maintenance and Configuration > Rom Based Setup Utility (RBSU) > RBSU Menu Generation 6 > Power Management Options > HP PowerProfile.

Thank You!

Omarioja

Hi,

this try resolution.

During system boot, press F9 to enter the RBSU.
Select Power ManagementOptions.
HP PowerProfile.
Select Maximum Performance.
Save and exit RBSU.
ESXi version ?

Thanks this worked.

paulshawon99
Occasional Advisor

I updated my ESXi host 5.0 by VMware patch 2 and then reboot and my server hangs at the prompt "initializing power management".

My server is HP DL380 G6.

But the solution you provided above solved my problem.

Difference is- after applying your solution my server freezed itself at the same prompt first time; but i then force rebooted the system again and this time my server properly booted to the OS.

Thanks for the solution.

sro
Frequent Visitor

thaks MR Erdogan are you think i have problem with the power for failed hard and are you solution is the right solution to do it

phlight

I have a DL 370 G6 and had the same problem when upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1 Update 1 but these settings didn't work for me.

I had to set the power profile to OS controlled.  I tried to set it via iLO but that didn't stick so I did it via the BIOS.

VM KB article 2014161

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2014161