1752439 Members
5673 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G7 Boot Times

agent006
Advisor

DL380 G7 Boot Times

We've just had some DL380 G7s delivered to replace some G5s.

They take the best part of three minutes to crawl through the BIOS, including 1m15s of completely blank screen when they're first powered up.
Nothing unusual in terms of cards, just an HP dual port HBA and an NC360T. Array controller is disabled.

Is this normal or have we got a problem?
6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

From what I've seen it's normal. I have 2 DL380 G7 systems; each with 97G of memory and they take a really long time to show POST
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
wobbe
Respected Contributor

With every new generation the post time seems to increase. It's getting ridiculous. HP, please do something about this.
Especially, the blank part is very annoying because you keep wondering; Did my server Die?
agent006
Advisor

Ours have 96GB in them too. I wonder if it's some kind of memory test they're doing.

It does get irritating waiting for these to boot. The G5s were bad enough, but our ESXi *install* is quicker than the boot time on these G7s.
ChoTran

I have my first DL380G7 with 96GB of RAM and I thought the system was DOA, but It's normal booting for new server with a lot of RAM installed.
sakelley

Ha!  Me too.   The DL360G7 is even worse.  Only 64GB ram, bios time >>> esxi installl time.

mvpel
Trusted Contributor

I have a BL620c with half a terabyte of memory, and it takes 5 minutes just to get to the POST screen. What's more, the timeout for the Cluster Managment Utility's cloning system is only 8 minutes. Wish me luck...