1753844 Members
7914 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 G7 POST Issue

TheJerryBowen
Visitor

DL380 G7 POST Issue

I have a basic model DL380 G7 that is having an issue with booting. I do not have much historical information on the server and do not know the reason for decommissioning, other than age, as it was installed and managed by another company.

The server powers on but will not get past POST and to BIOS load. The health light is red and the processor 1 light is amber. This should indicate a CPU failure, however, when the CPU from my server, now known as CPU1, is put into the second slot of the other DL380 G7 I had available at the time of testing, the server completes POST and is able to boot.

I took CPU1 and put it back in mine and then took CPU2(the other server's secondary) and put it in the second slot, both processor lights turn amber and the health light is red.

From this troubleshooting, I can conclude that CPU1 is working, but there could be an issue with the motherboard being dead. I wanted to post here to see if there aren't any other issues or steps I should try before purchasing a replacement motherboard. Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
cesarpegado
Valued Contributor

maybe the cpu your're installing isn't compatible with the BIOS version?

may need to find a CPU that does work, then flash the BIOS and then try the CPU again?

But otherwise i'd agree and possibly a dodgy slot 1 in that motherboard? I assume you have memory installed to go with that CPU? and they are in the correct slots

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you can troubleshoot with a single processor.

2 processors are not required for minimum configuration.

As you said you have one more server with the same configuration.

You can use the processor from a known working server and install it on the problematic server.
It is an easy way to find out the issue with the processor or processor slot on the system board.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

TheJerryBowen
Visitor

cesarpegado, In terms of the BIOS version incompatible with the CPU, this was the CPU preinstalled in the system and, at some point, functioned. The memory is also the preinstalled and is in the correct slots. I visually inspected the slot 1 before reinstalling the CPU the last time and all the pins looked properly aligned. I did notice that there is not an SD card inserted into the motherboard. Reading around I found out that's just for a light OS so all the drives can be storage, but correct me if I am wrong with this.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

As per the last post,I did not understand what you want to say.

Please explain your server issue clearly.

Follow my last post if the NO POST issue due to CPU or share exact issue for further investigation.

Bios version supported for all supported CPU in this server.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo