6519 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G7 Shuts Down Randomly

BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G7 Shuts Down Randomly

Hi all,

We've got a DL380 G7 that used to enjoy randomly rebooting. Thankfully a new motherboard sorted out that issue however since then it's started randomly shutting down about once a day.

Log Viewer doesn't show anything about the random shutdown however it does show that one of the power supplies had an issue the day before.

Anyone else had this issue with their DL380 G7?
6 REPLIES 6
Duncan Aynsley
Occasional Advisor

Is the server connected to a UPS?
Is is powering down or doing a controlled shutdown?
Does it shut down at the same time each day?

I've seen other threads of a similar nature which were the result of a UPS running a self test and generating a power fluctuation.
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Yup connected to a UPS (APC Smart-UPS SC1500), self test occurs every 14 days and that did not coincide with when the DL380 powered down.

Yes sorry it was a forced power off rather than a formal shut down. It stayed down until I started it this morning.

When I started it the 'power' light on the front was flashing red. I've removed the one power supply that has previously mentioned failing and am currently running it non-redundant until it (may possibly) power off again.
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

You might review this post of G6 PS issues. The APC you listed is the same one that failed me so I went to Eaton double conversion type.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1393340
Rajaie

Today I had the same problem , I am running FreeBSD 8.0 , and suddenly I found the server power off.
I have two redundant power supply and it is configured to autostart when booted.

It was totally off , without reboot or any logs showing anything ... a sudden power off out of no where

when I came to the server the power button led was orange and the power indicator led was red.

to my astonishment I plugged even the keyboard and mouse cause I didn't believe it was powered off , the uptime for the server is around 25 days

until this moment I hardly believe that such server could turn off alone.
frankd_1

We are seeing this also on two systems.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Upgrade the firmware, Option ROM, UPS software, and drivers along with HP management tools.

Clear your logs and restart the server. See what is listed if it fails again. Did you replace the power supply. A faulty power supply could cause a shutdown.