1752319 Members
6162 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G7 failing to power-up following ROM upgrade

Alan Coo

DL380 G7 failing to power-up following ROM upgrade

Hi,

Yesterday, I did a full PSP upgrade on several servers including the ROM updates suggested by the package.

All went well apart from two servers, both DL380 G7's, which failed to come back up. Connecting via iLO returned a black screen with "no video" in the status bar.

Given that the servers have 32 disks installed, I figured it was just taking a while to go flash all the drives, and left it overnight.

Returning this morning, both servers were still dead in the water. I power-cycled the first server and after a short while it flared into life and is now working normally.

Power-cycling the second one, however, is proving less fruitful. Within iLO, it's showing the power status as "(?) Reset" and nothing I seem to do makes any difference. I've reset the iLO and looked back through the IML, but I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan.
2 REPLIES 2
Vaibhav Gandhi
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 G7 failing to power-up following ROM upgrade

Hi Alan,
Could you try clearing NV RAM on this second DL380 G7?

NV RAM can be cleared using System maintenance switch, located on systemboard.
Find this switch with help of Systemboard diagram on reverse side of the server access panel.

You will see 10 tiny dip switches, you need to toggle switch #6.
Move it to the opposite position,
Power ON the server (typically you should get screen saying this switch is in ON position and will tell you to turn it to OFF position).
In case you do not get any video after powering ON, wait for 2 minutes, power it OFF,
Put the switch back to its original position and try powering it ON again.

-Vaibhav
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G7 failing to power-up following ROM upgrade

Hey, what about lights when you try to turn it on physically? Any on the front?
How about leds on the power supplies? They still good?

Would you be able to attach a monitor to it?
If possible, it may be a good idea to clear NVRAM, and while you're doing that, try to turn on the box with the cover off, maybe the leds on the system board can give you a hint as well. SHould be an explanation of the leds inside the cover.

Isn't there a nice insight display in the front of these DL380 G7s? Does that indicate anything?

Sometimes just reseating the power supplies can clear something as well.