ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752549 Members
5022 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G7 - > PCI Express Solid State Drives incomptible with newest Firmware?!

hpuser_01
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G7 - > PCI Express Solid State Drives incomptible with newest Firmware?!

Hello...

I have new BIOS: P67 07/02/2013

upgraded P410i controller also...

I cannot force to work PCIE SSD M.2 (NGFF) drive:

/dev/sda:
 Model=PLEXTOR PX-AG128M6e                     , FwRev=1.01    , SerialNo=P02412103556

01:00.0 SATA controller: Device 1c28:0122 (rev 14)

My BIOS options test:

*Force PCI-E Generation 2

*Load Option Card Devices First -- this activates Plextor ROM-BIOS screen correctly

*P410i SAS controller - disabled

*Boot controller order - all combinations

Device looks like another controller in BIOS startup. Works everywhere without problems (simple workstations with Pcie2 x16 slot) but not on DL380 Server!

Server starts as usually... shows one screen after P410i controller -> SSD PlextorROM announcement... later: NetworkROM and then reboots. Entering BIOS setup F9 never possible because of reboot - need to disconnect PCIE card to access F9 and change some options.

Why it doesn't work? Any idea? Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Re: DL380 G7 - > PCI Express Solid State Drives incomptible with newest Firmware?!

Because HP ProLiant only supports HP ssd's.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)
Michael Griessbach

Re: DL380 G7 - > PCI Express Solid State Drives incomptible with newest Firmware?!

I have the same issue with DL380G7 and Plextor M6e 256GB

Are there any news ? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sounds like the Plextor ROM is in conflict with another ROM, maybe the Smart Array? there is a setting in RBSU to place option ROMS first, you might try that.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
hpuser_01
Occasional Visitor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Sounds like the Plextor ROM is in conflict with another ROM, maybe the Smart Array? there is a setting in RBSU to place option ROMS first, you might try that.

see above: "Message 1 of 4" ...

"*Load Option Card Devices First -- this activates Plextor ROM-BIOS screen correctly" ... I meant "ONLY activates" with no luck! :(

Poor BIOS, bad PCIE x16 is a disgrace to the HP :/

cmdroot
Visitor

Old SSD M6e upgrade from 1.00 to 1.01 revision:

"Plextor M6e Date: Version: Description: 2014/02/24
This firmware revision improves:
Compatibility on ASUS, DELL, Acer, HP, <--------( !!! )
Lenovo platform.
(...)

"

Now I have the latest M6e - v.1.04 but with no luck :(

SSD PlextorROM announcement works... (shows PCIe Gen2 x2 mode) but have

the same problem... Entering BIOS setup F9 never possible because of instant reboot at the end of BIOS cycle.

It looks like HP BIOS bug!

Hetz Ben Hamo
Occasional Contributor

Greetings from the future (look at the date) ;)

The G7 doesn't support booting from NVME as much as I know. 

I would suggest to use a simple & small SATA/SAS SSD (small as smallest that you can get), and have the /boot partition in it and all the rest on the NVME drives, and set the "root" partition (or PV and LV) set to the NVME drives. You might need to play a bit with GRUB2 to make it work. Make sure to point to the drive's UUID and NOT any absolute device (like sda, sdb, etc...)

Good luck