1753765 Members
5827 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Gen10 M.2 enable

WouterH
HPE Pro

The s100i Integrated SATA Controller will only work with SATA drives.

None of the Riser options for the DL380 Gen10 support M.2 NVMe SSD's. They support M.2 SATA SSD's. So you will have to use two M.2 SATA SSD's if you want to install those on the default Riser.

HPE ProLiant DL Gen10 Server Riser Guide 

Of course the DL380 Gen10 supports NVMe's, but only in SFF or LFF formfactor. Optionally, HPE has the "HPE NS204i-p x2 Lanes NVMe PCIe3 x8 OS Boot Device" (P12965-B21), which is a PCI card that enables hardware RAID for two M.2 NVMe SSD's. This card comes with two M.2 NVMe SSD's.

HPE NS204i-p Quickspecs 

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

IT-Admin
Visitor

@WouterHThank you very much for the cleaifications and othe details I really appriciated your help. just to be sure about one more thing before I order the M.2 SATA SSD's when I look at the connectors there is a difference but I think this won't be a problem?!

SATA M.2 SSD:

1-SATA-M.2.png

NVMe M.2 SSD:

NVMe M.2.png

Best regards,

Yaseen

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

That difference is why the SATA drives will work, so it's a good difference. Be sure to buy HPE drives if you need to ensure its a fully supported solution.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

Vador
HPE Pro

***Please Ignore. I see that the below clarification has already been provided earlier***

Hello,

The S100i in the DL380 Gen10 does not support M.2 NVMe's. It only supports M.2 SATA.

Regards,

Nirav Vador

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CHAMPENOIS
Occasional Visitor

Wrong answer KevinSpring, cause the connector in the Proliant riser...has only one hole/notch, as NVMe drives. 

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

That's not how m.2 keying works, you can verify in the product documentation, it's SATA only.

SATA M.2's have two notches so that they can fit into either M or B keyed sockets, but the socket only needs either an M or B key for SATA, not both.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

CHAMPENOIS
Occasional Visitor

Yes, hat's the definitilvely good answer

1. SATA M.2's have two notches (NVMe has only one)

2. The Proliant riser socket has one, but:

3. The Proliant riser ONLY SUPPORT SATA M.2

Regards