4906 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Gen10 No Configurable physical drives attached to the current controller

PleaseJustWork
Occasional Visitor

DL380 Gen10 No Configurable physical drives attached to the current controller

Hello,

We're trying to repurpose 2 servers DL380 Gen10 from a previous owner. They were originally running HyperV and connected to external storage devices, but we just want to add some HDDs and install windows on them.

After installing the HDDs and resetting everything to factory settings using the Intelligent Provisioning we're getting the error: 67 "There are no configurable physical drives attached to the current controller".

Some googling advises the drive bays might not be connected correctly, but this is where my expertise ends. I can see they are plugged into Slots 4 and 5 on the server diagram.

Any help is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: DL380 Gen10 No Configurable physical drives attached to the current controller

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server

2. HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server User Guide

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 Gen10 No Configurable physical drives attached to the current controller

Hello,

Check if the hard driives have been recognised by the array controller. To do so, you may restart the server,  press key F10 during POST prompt and launch 'SSA' from the options. 

Check if the hard drives installed in the respective bays are recognized by the Smart array controller.

If it is recognized, create a RAID array based on the number of installed hard drives and proceed to install operating system.

If it is not recognized, then reseat them, if not then swap known working drives to isolate between the hard drive or the hard drive backplane.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

PleaseJustWork
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 Gen10 No Configurable physical drives attached to the current controller

@TVVJ 

Hi thanks for replying!

From F10 I can choose Intelligent Provisioning or SMB setup - do you mean SMB?

From there it says "No Available RAID Controller" - If press Continue past this it allows me to select one of my two available drives inserted in bays 1 and 2, however that's without any RAID obviously. (This later goes on to fail if you try and install the OS onto one of the drives - "we were unable to detect a supported disk installed on the system") The drives are P19947-B21 which are supported by HP DL380 Gen10 from what I can see.

Inside the RAID configuration menu I can see it detects a HPE Smart Array P408e-p SR Gen10.

The Controller Status health is OK.

Location slot 1

Location format PCISlot

Under Controller Devices there are no available drives to create arrays. 

Here's a visual of what I'm seeing in the various menus and options: https://imgur.com/a/hpIGcre

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

As there are no hard drives connected to the controller, they are not detected. You may review the section "Cabling diagrams" under "Cabling" of the "HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server Maintenance and Service Guide". 

Once cabled they should be detected by the controller which will allow creation of RAID array.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

The main problem is the "e" in the P408e-p SR Gen10 controller stands for "external".  It only supports external storage and has SAS ports for connecting to them.  I'd look into purchasing an equivalent internal controller like the "P408i-p SR Gen10 Controller"; we use the HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 on our DL380 Gen10s, but they're equipped with (2) LFF 2TB SAS drives for a RAID1 OS volume and the remaining drive bays have LFF 8TB SAS drives for RAID10 "Data" volume.