108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Gen10 displays is blank on a APC 19" RACK LCD Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Isaksen
Occasional Advisor

DL380 Gen10 displays is blank on a APC 19" RACK LCD Console

Our new DL380 Gen10 shows a blank screen on a APC 19" RACK LCD Console monitor (AP5719).   Keyboard works just fine but no screen display.  Firmware is all up to date.  KVM-USB has been swapped out along with the lan cable - no good.  The AP5719 works fine with Gen9 on down, even thought we need to set the "embedded video connection" to "Always enable". This is our standard on all servers and still no display.  Can only get a screen when connected to the the front display port on another monitor.  

This is just a VGA port what could HPE have changed to mess this up ?  Why can't they just use a basic/standard graphics gpu.

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

While iLO5 does have a newer Matrox chipset, it is still just standard VGA. You say it displays on another monitor connected to the front VGA port, will it also display on this monitor if it is plugged into the rear port?  Will the APC monitor work when connected to the front port?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Magic_Neil
Occasional Visitor

Same here. It was especially fun to find out about the Gen9 issue because our new datacenter had the APC KVM, and we thought that the VGA port got damaged in transpot.. after three, it was pretty clear that wasn't the case.

I've contacted APC about it, and they claim that there's something to due with the EDID that's being passed to the dongle.  They've acknowledged the issue with the Gen10 stuff, but I also don't get how this happened.  At the end of the day, this is VGA.. not exactly cutting edge stuff.  External monitors (at least the HP's that I've had on-hand) seem to work fine, but whether it's front or rear VGA (or the BIOS, or the "Always On" setting that Gen9 required), Gen10 doesn't work with video at all.

They claim that they're going to "fix" the issue with a new hardware revision, but at this point who knows whether that's new dongles, or a whole new KVM and dongles too.

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA279707/

Simonxliu
Solution

We ran into this problem with another brand of consoles, and HPE support was able to take care of it. We just had to update the ILO firmware, then from the ILO web interface go into Security->Access Settings, scroll to the bottom and enable a new setting called VGA Port Detect Override. You may have to click on the Remote console window in the bottom left corner and click "wake-up monitor"

Chris Isaksen
Occasional Advisor

The iLo 5 firmware upgrade to 1.37  seems to have done the trick.   Thanks to all that responded.   Been caught up with other things while we have been waiting for a fix on this inconvenience.   I can put the other monitor away now.  

Just a note:  on Gen10 the front video port is "display port"  which APC KVM's don't support as of yet.    They have dvi and I think hdmi, but not display port adapters yet.  So there was no way to test the front port with the APC 19" monitor.  Good suggestion though.

Thanks again.