1752567 Members
5240 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Gen9's hang booting from spp iso

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

DL380 Gen9's hang booting from spp iso

I have 5 identical DL380 Gen9 servers that were pulled from remote sites and reinstalled in our data center.  Each one was erased via F10 Intelligent Provisioning.  ILO's were cabled and configured.  I then mounted the 2019.09 SPP via virtual media and booted the server.  This spp has been used on several other servers with no issues.  However on these 5 the spp loads anywhere from 18-29% and hangs there with message "mounting root filesystem image, please wait...".  I've tried different know good spp's all with the same results.  I also notice that when it hangs, the virtual media gets unmounted.  Thinking network issue, I moved one server to our lab where we frequently build servers and got the same result. Tried resetting nvram on one server but that did not work either.  I also am unsuccessful booting the server with Intelligent Provisioning Recover ISO - different behavior but still fails.  I'm at a loss.

6 REPLIES 6
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Hello Kerry, 

i would suggest to follow below actions to troubleshoot

1) update the ILO fw to latest version

2) try updating the BIOS to latest version from ILO web page

2) create USB based SPP media (using hpe key utility) and check with same instead of mounting via ILO

Log a support case with HPE team to assist further if above suggestions does not help to fix

Regards

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

1) update the ILO fw to latest version - ILO's are already at the latest version 2.70

2) try updating the BIOS to latest version from ILO web page - if you are referring to ILO virtual media, that's what I've been trying to do with no luck.

2) create USB based SPP media (using hpe key utility) and check with same instead of mounting via ILO - that might be a possibility but the problem is that my company disables the use of USB storage devices.  Getting a temporary exception is a bit of a nightmare.  I may have to create that from home.

Another strange thing that is occurring is that when booting from the virtual media iso, just before the screen switches to the option to do automatic or manual install, I get a message on the screen that states "error: no such device:  SPP2018110". 

One thing to note, when these servers were pulled out of service they contained a 3rd party pci card (some sort of text to speech interface).  I pulled these before reracking the servers in my datacenter.

Wynno

Hi Kerry, I have had similar problems on a variety of different DL360s, eventually worked out that the HTML5 console seems to be the issue. If you use the Java console it works fine as normal, also noticably slower loading the SPP before it dies when using the HTML5 option. I'm seeing this with iLO version 2.70, will be interesting to see if it is fixed in 2.73.

lujan
Visitor

will be interesting to see if it is fixed in 2.73.

Nope, the same issue also in 2.73

SA17

confirmed as well, hmtl5 remote console unmaps the image after a while. HPE please fix this before releasing the next ilo version after 2.73.

turnerl72
Established Member

Thank you, OP for the solution. Still not fixed in 2.79