ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748236 Members
3643 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 - Logical / Fixed Drives / dont show in windows 2000

Lost_1

DL380 - Logical / Fixed Drives / dont show in windows 2000

Alright, somewhat of a newbie here when it comes to configuring a server version. Running Windows 2000 Server on this system. All installed ok. However, it states I have one logical drive on the intergrated array smart controller card along with two other fixed drives. Why dont these drives show up in Windows 2000? How do I gain access to them? Would like them to be the backup source of files...

8 REPLIES 8
Dave Lloyd
Advisor

You set up drives from disk manager in 2000.
If you're referring to the boot screen when the server starts, the logical disk is the array you set up on the array controller. When you set up the array with SmartStart, you can create logical partitions...eg, 2*18GB drive can be set as RAID1, then you can create 2 logical partitions of say 9GB each.
On boot, the array will say 2 logical drives and windows will see 2 'physical' disks in disk manager. Of course, you won't see a drive letter for the 2nd partition/'disk' until you format it.

Dave
Lost_1

Alright, I dont have the smartstart program, but I have updated all the drivers etc. It has been set up with one logical drive with two physical drives underneath it on boot up under intergrated smart array controller. However when it boots into windows it only shows the one logical. Even when I go into disk manager, it only shows the one. How do I go about formatting the other two if I only have access to the one drive which already has windows 2000 on it?
Dave Lloyd
Advisor

Do you get the option for F8 when the array is initialising. Something like 'press F8 to configure array'
If so, press it and check out the array config.
How many physical disks do you actually have in the drive bays? I'm think you maybe have 4, and 2 are configured as array and the other two are not configured and thus appear as physical disks when you boot.
You'll need to add those extra drives to an array using the array config utility before windows will see it.

Dave
Lost_1

Yes, i have three drives. One being logical and the other two of the same size being physical. They are probably not formated, but I can't get them to read in Windows. So how do i go about formatting them if I can't see them? I have no smart cd.
Dave Lloyd
Advisor

Did you try the F8 at start up to configure the array?
Lost_1

Yes, and all i have is:
1. Create Logical Drive
2. View Logical Drive
3. Delete Logical Drive
===============

Then if you go into view it has its raid array set with the other two drives underneath the main drive. The two drives I can not access nor windows detects them.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

sounds like you need to create logical drives for the other 2 drives. Go into the RAID Config Utility (F8 at boot) and selecft create Logical Drive. You will have to decide how you want to set the 2 drives up. Your options will probably be RAID 1+0 or RAID 0. If you want HW fault tolerance on the drives, select RAID 1+0. If you don't care about RAID sets, select RAID 0. Once you do this, you should be able to see them in Windows.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Lost_1

When I go into Controller: Compaq Integrated Smart Array, it tells me there are no physical drives. Press ESC to return to main menu.. yatta yatta ya

When you go to view logical drive all three drives are there, one being logical and the other two are assigned physical drives under it.

I was hoping to make the two 9.1 gb drives together so if one goes down the other is backup.