1753995 Members
8148 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 OS install - Windows 2003 - SmartStart won't boot

charger
Occasional Advisor

DL380 OS install - Windows 2003 - SmartStart won't boot

I bought a dl380 G1 used which already had Win2003 installed but unknown passwords. It will not boot to the SmartStart CD 5.5 nor W2003 install CD. It has 512k ram, and dual 1Ghz PIII's, integrated Smart Array Controller 1.42 and two 9.1GB Compaq drives. I reset the drive partitions at boot-up and the Win2003 that it used to boot to is now history. It will recognize a VMware ESX install CD, so I know it try's to boot from CD. I just need it to allow a W2003 install. BTW, the server has a floppy drive, but my home PC (a late model HP) doesn't have a floppy drive and I don't want to have to deal with a floppy if at all possible. What are my next steps?

I found this thread on TechTips -- http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1345698&page=1
What a tough time this guy had getting a fresh OS instsall and I'm afraid I might be in the same situation.

Anyone here with the expertese to help with installing a new OS to a DL380 G1?
13 REPLIES 13
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Now that u have got the server to boot from the CD; I will suggest u to get a SmartStart 7 & boot from it.
FIRST thing to do is to run the ERASE UTILITY.

I am sure, after which installing OS wont be a issue.

Cheers !
James.
charger
Occasional Advisor

James,
Unfortunately, it will only TRY to boot from a VMware CD, it fails after a few checks. It does not give any sign of trying to boot from a SmartStart CD nor a W2003 CD. I am really suprised that even a SmartStart CD which is designed to work on these systems is not recognized.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

hmmm... thats unsual.

Did u try SmartStart 7 ??
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
charger
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replys James.
I did try the SmartStart 7 with no luck. My next efforts will be to get a floppy boot disk and see where I get from there.
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

As this is a G1 server, you will need to use SmartStart 5.5 to build it. This is the last version to work with G1 (or non RBSU) servers.
The erase utility ahould come up once the CD has booted.

Unfortunately you may have trouble finding one now...

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Just amazed myself!

Try here...
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
MrPatRyan

Thanks Mark, but as I mentioned in my original post my DL380 will not boot with the SmartStart 5.5 CD inserted, it goes through the storage controller initialization and then just sits there with a blinking cursor. The SmartStart instructions says to have a floppy inserted with spd.ini but since I have no floppy drive on my desktop PC I haven't been able to do that. I think my public library has PC's with floppy drives so I will have to pay them a visit to see if this DL380 will start up with floppy inserted or maybe I can get the erase utility onto a floppy and get it going that way.
Ohm_1
Occasional Advisor

"I don't want to have to deal with a floppy if at all possible. What are my next steps?"

I do not think you have a choice due to the cd booting problems.

Run Erase from floppy. Then try the 5.5 CD. If that still does not work you may need to create the SCU (System Configuration Utility) on floppies (3 of them last I remember). Once you get the system to boot to floppies on the first menu after hitting enter press CTRL+A then select the first option on the first screen and the first option on the second screen. The system will load and ask for more floppy disks. Once this has finished make sure you select view/edit and find the (name of the value is vague) but I seem to remember is in the processor options. You need to make sure you select "Full Table Mapped". Save then reboot to your Windows 2003 CD. You may need to provide Windows with the right array controller driver via the F6 at the 2003 boot. I have been successful on a ML370 Pre G anything installing windows 2003 as mention above.

Even if you do get 5.5 working it will not install Windows 2003 the only selection you will have is "Other" and all that will do is create the F10 partition and let you configure the array controller.

Hope that helps good luck!