ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753934 Members
10181 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 P800 controller : Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress

MrPatch
Occasional Visitor

DL380 P800 controller : Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress

One of our clients file server is currently reporting :

"Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on this logical drive. If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve"

Across all three logical drives it hosts.

No-one can tell me when the it last had a disk failure (I assume that would be what causes it)

My research (googling) so far has shown the majority of responders saying to 'just leave it til its finished' but this has been showing for at least 4 months, and for an unknown amount of time priort to that. Frankly I don't beleive that its actually waiting to do anything, or if it is its failed and wouldn't run parity if you took it offline for a month.

I'm aware that this isn't a critical issue, but at the same time I'd like to clear it up. We finally bit the bullet and rebooted, hoping that this would clear the warnings. This hasn't helped and the warning is still showing.

Downtime is difficult as this server is available across 2 or three quite different timezones, so is constantly in use, and is their main file server.

I've checked the output of the CLI Diag command and it doesn't report anything untoward.

Few other details:

DL380

3x Logical Drives

- 956Gb

- 838Gb

- 2.72Tb

P800 - FirmWare v 5.20

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Patch

1 REPLY 1
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 P800 controller : Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress

This used to be a feature of running esxi before letting the drives complete parity initialization back in the days! Might take the server offline to [F8] mode for a day or two to let it complete!

The firmware may be out of date but i'd be careful of flashing with a pending job to complete!