Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 - Powers off during Win 2k Install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Krueger
Occasional Visitor

DL380 - Powers off during Win 2k Install

I inherited a DL380 that started life as a 733 and has been upgraded to a dual 1 gig machine. When trying to install Win 2k or Win 2k3, the system powers off just after the Windows splash screen rolls across and just before you should get the Windows login screen. No error messages displayed. It restarts on its own in about 10 seconds. I upgraded the BIOs to P17 - 12/8/02. Tried different memory options as well. I'm trying to determine if this system has a integrated video card.
2 REPLIES
Mark Bowden
Advisor
Solution

Re: DL380 - Powers off during Win 2k Install

You may have a bad processor or bad processor power supply. I suggest downgrading it from dual processors to single processors and see if it will boot then. Be sure to keep the single processor in slot 1. (Don't remove processor and power supply 1, leaving only processor and power supply 2.)
Marc Krueger
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 - Powers off during Win 2k Install

Thanks for the quick response. The second processor was the cause of the problem. Never would have associated that with the problem as post showed it good and had no problems using any of the Compaq tools. Guess they really don't push that processor much.

Regards,
Marc