1751763 Members
5703 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 RAID5 rebuilding process

Gary Yau
Occasional Advisor

DL380 RAID5 rebuilding process

We have 3 18.2G UltraSCSI2 HDD running raid5 for Windows 2000 server at DL380. One of the HDD has to be replaced due to failure. The replaced HDD rebuild itself automatically. However, we have waited for a very long time (approx. 7hrs). How long will the rebuilding process takes usually??

Thanks a lot!!
Gary
6 REPLIES 6
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

This depends on several things.
The rebuild priority setting of the smart array controller, the diskactivity on the server, type of smart array controller.
Do you see any progress in Array configuration utility? (right lower corner)

Leon
Gary Yau
Occasional Advisor

I can only see flashing LED for the replacement drive. Since I have to re-install Windows 2000 server. I can't see any activities on screen.

If I restart the server and go into raid controller's program, and I see any pregress bar for rebuilding process?

Thanks
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

You don't say which RAID controller you are using. A 'fast' controller like 5300 should already be finished. A 'slow' controller like 5i may take much longer.

But if you are going to reinstall anyway - so you could abort rebuild and just recreate the array.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You also can start array configuration utility from the smartstart cd.

Leon
Gary Yau
Occasional Advisor

I have 5i smart array. It keeps blinking after one night operation. I think this operation has failed.

I have recreate the raid and start installing the whole thing finally.

However, I don't know why the raid has failed suddenly.

Thanks!
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Rebuild should be finished after one night.

I don't know why it didn't rebuild. Maybe the system event log shows something or drive array advanced diagnostic utility finds something.

Rebuilding a drive can fail - for example when there's a read error on one of the other drives.