ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7275 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Responding Intermittently

Mike White_3

DL380 Responding Intermittently

We're stumped. Our DL380 G2 (2 GB ram, Compaq 4314R Storageworks drive chassis, 5312 array controller) is losing network connectivity intermittently. It responds to pings for 5 to 10 minutes without missing a beat then, suddenly, starts dropping every second or third packet. Five minutes later it responds with no problems without rebooting. Pinging from the server out to an external site produces similar behavior.

We've tried updating the NIC drivers, switching NIC's (i.e. disabling one and moving to the other), and disabling NIC teaming. We have run diagnostics across the cabling between the NIC and the switch without errors. We've found nothing in the system logs indicating a problem and the system monitor registers minimal activity.

Has anyone else run into this type of behavior? Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 Responding Intermittently

Mike,
my thoughts... are you sure that the problem is in server? Try changing network cable, switch port. Is it the case that only ping does not work through the network? Do applications work? You know ping generates specific requests, maybe something on the network (switch) sometimes prevents ping packet to be routed correctly?
And of course make sure you're at latest service pack
Eugeny
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

If you only see this problem while the NICs are teamed, then look to see if the teaming heartbeat is turned on: if it is, turn it off. In a switched environment, when the idle NIC sends out a heartbeat, it does so with the team MAC address - and the Ethernet switch suddenly sees the server 'move' to a different port - then the live NIC sends another frame and hey presto the server has moved again. Depending on the Ethernet switch settings, loss of connectivity could be for as long as 45s, or just a few frames.
I would be looking to work very closely with my network colleagues on a problem like this.
Mike White_3

We have tried switching ports. No dice. Also, NIC teaming is one of the usual suspects and, consequently, was the first thing we disabled.
munawar Hayat
Occasional Advisor

Hi
in my wiew I think the two NIC should be identicale.
Remove the NIC drivers & again install it one by one. i-e, physically remove the NIC from the server install the 1st one & checked if work. Then install the second one.
Definitly it will work, if you are sure that your cables,switch ports are ok.

Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

Are you using autosensing for speed & duplex for the switch or NIC? Sometimes issues may result from incorrect auto-negotiation in duplex resulting in performance related issues.

Good Luck!
Greg