cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380, SA5304: reusing bad drive in RAID5

artm_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380, SA5304: reusing bad drive in RAID5

Got a RAID5 array with 3x72GB. One went bad, when reinserted in same slot of external case it is eventually recognized and array is rebuilt.

I know this drive is bad but want to tinker a bit with it. In my previous setup with an Adaptec card I could simply fail the drive (if not already failed), reinsert it to another slot, make it a spare and it would be used to rebuild the defective array.

I cannot do this in this setup. Moving the bad drive to a different SCSI ID, it is recognized as an unassigned drive and a new array can be created with it.

How can I force it to be used with the remaining two drives of the array?
2 REPLIES
Jaloosk
Advisor

Re: DL380, SA5304: reusing bad drive in RAID5

I believe you would need to put it back into the slot it came out of, however why on god's good green earth would you risk losing your entire array by 'tinkering' with a drive that has been identified as bad? They don't throw bad flags for no reason. You could lose your entire array of the drive dies again before the rebuild process is complete.
artm_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL380, SA5304: reusing bad drive in RAID5

This is a test setup to test a batch of drives. Of course I would not do this in a real system.

Yes, putting the drive back in the same slot starts a rebuild. So, if that slot is defective (slot not drive) how can you introduce a spare in another slot to kick in?