ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752801 Members
5454 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 SCSI Drive Replacement

Bob Potterfield

DL380 SCSI Drive Replacement

I've not logged much time on Compaq servers and am not familar with the raid controllers or software diagnostics. I've got a drive with a pre-failure warning. It's part of a 6 drive logical array running raid 5 with a hot spare. The utilities on all my other non-compaq boxes allow me to manually fail a drive first and rebuild it on the hot spare first, before ever having to pull it out. I don't see the option to do with the compaq software. Do I just yank out the failing drive to start the rebuild process. I've got no problem doing this... I'm just not use to doing it that way.
I like the idea of rebuilding the drive first to the hot spare and then pulling out the failed drive. Thanks in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
ZHANG Sheng

Re: DL380 SCSI Drive Replacement

The rebuilding will start automaticlly when you pull out the fialed drive.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Hi Bob
Plz specify that which RAID controller are you using for managing this array. If you have an on-line spare then you only have to pull out the failed drive and the re-build will start automatically. Remember that when you insert the new drive in place of the failed drive the RAID will shift to the new inserted drive and the online spare will be again set free for future disasters.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
e4services
Honored Contributor

If you have a Hot Swap, you should be able to fail the drive in question and the hot spare should be rebuilt into the array automatically.
I would, though, try and recover the original disk first. Often these pre-failure warnings are not a failure of the drive but the data. Try removing the drive and reinserting it to reseat it and rebuild the existing disk. Then take a look at the ACU and the drive for additional information
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Bob Potterfield

Thanks All for the helpful posts.

Happy New Year to All