ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748179 Members
4199 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Sever reboots every few days due to Fan Failure

Jeremy Quinn

DL380 Sever reboots every few days due to Fan Failure

I got a DL380 with NetWare 5.1. Every few days the server reboots itself. In Compaq Insight Manager it says "Automatic Operating System Shutdown Initiated due to fan failure" and it also say "Fan Failure (FAN 2, Location Power Supply).

Well...I installed two new power supplies and it happened again!
7 REPLIES 7
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor

I'm guessing you are talking about a DL380 G1. If so, we've had this too. It's not the fan in the Power Supplies, it's the fan inside the server in front of the power supply cage. Between the drive cage and the power supplies.
Jeremy Quinn

Thanks for replying!! Yes...since I made this post I called Compaq and they said it's the fan you are talking about....so after I got off the phone with them I popped the case and the fan seemed to be running fine...so I'm wondering if it's intermittent or is the mother board going out on me...it's a PIII 800 by the way...any other suggestions or advice?
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor

The ones we had once we replaced that fan the problem went away. I'd start with replacing the fan and if you are still getting the error look at the system board
Jeremy Quinn

Was your fan still running when you went to replace it? Or was is totally dead?
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor

Both. On one it seemed to be running fine (intermittent failures/reboots) on another one it was completely dead.
Jeremy Quinn

Thanks Gene! I got the new fan in today and I'm going to install it...I'll let you know what happens...thanks for your help..also..just curious...who do you work for? Do you just roam these boards looking to help people? How long have you been in the field?
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor

It's not that exciting, but I work for an insurance company up in Seattle.

I usually just roam the board to keep up to date on issues, with an occational posting if I get stumped on something, or if I happen to see a question about something I've solved in the past. I've been supporting the server infrastrcture here, currently about 800 servers nationwide, for about 6 years now.