4616 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 - System Utilities Freezing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Conrad_1

DL380 - System Utilities Freezing

On bootup, our DL380 asks you to hit F1 to continue or F10 to run System Configuration Utilities. This makes a remote reboot impossible because someone must sit there and hit F1 to make the machine start up. I tried using the System Erase Utility and then used the four System Configuration Utility diskettes to install the utilities on the system partition. How do I get it to either stop asking for F1/F10, or to make it just boot automatically if no key is pressed? Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

what is it complaining about?

if hardrive firmware then either upgarde the harddrive firmware or upgrade the array firmware to the latest some fixed this issue.

if an array is not configured or no harddrive is attached to it then just remove that extra array or upgrade to the latest array firmware I think this was fixed a few monts ago on 5300 array controller.

Finaly I remember seeing a setting to disable this in the f10 setup to ignore prompting on reboot not sure if it was a ml570 or dl380 but worth investigating..

Chris Conrad_1

It's not complaining about anything in particular... the array was correctly configured using the ROM-based configuration utility (by pressing F9) and it detects 1 logical drive. After it says 1 logical drive detected, it comes up and asks you to hit F1 to continue or F10 to run the system partition utilities. I can hit F1 and the system boots normally. I can hit F10 and it runs the utilities from the system partition. The problem is you have to hit either F1 or F10 or the machine won't boot. If I ever restart it removely, the machine will be useless until someone comes in to press the F1 key.
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

ah looks like a g2 or g3 server then.

on G3 dl380
go in to F9 and disable Post F1 Prompt under Advanced options

I think G2 has the same option.

Eric

Chris Conrad_1

Sorry, I should've been more specific in my original post. It's a G1 DL380 and I'm using the Integrated Compaq Array Controller. When I hit F9 to go into ROM-based setup on the controller, it only lets me pick the type of drive configuration (RAID1, RAID5, etc.). There's no advanced options anywhere.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi

"After It Says 1 Logical Drive Detected, It Comes Up And Asks You To Hit F1 To Continue Or F10 To Run The System Partition Utilities."

Did you ever come across
Select F1 to continue with recovery of data to drive(s).
Select F2 to continue without recovery of data to drive(s)."
error on same server.

Can it possible to check what is reported under iml logs of same server.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Chris,

There will be a reason why it's giving you the F1 prompt however to get rid of it so that you can autoboot remotely etc. do the following.

Press F10 when prompted and get into the System Configuration Utility.

At the MAIN MENU screen, before making any choices, press CTRL-A and hit return to enter the Advanced mode screen.

Now choose SYSTEM CONFIGURATION and then CONFIGURE HARDWARE. After the various hardware configuration files and Plug + Play stuff gets loaded you will see the Configuration Complete splash screen. Choose REVIEW OR MODIFY HARDWARE SETTINGS and then VIEW OR EDIT DETAILS.

Use the down-arrow key to move down to the Advanced Features section and you will see an entry for F1 BOOT PROMPT. Change it from the default (Enabled-Stop at Prompt) to (Disabled -Skip Prompt) Then press F10 and go down to Save and Exit. You should not get the F1 prompt on the next boot and your DL380 should behave itself unless you get a genuine problem in the future.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Chris Conrad_1

Brian - that was it! I really appreciate your help. I never expected such quick and knowledgeable responses from a support message board.