ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748169 Members
4230 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 and Battery Backup R3000XR

Steven Davidson_1

DL380 and Battery Backup R3000XR

We have two DL380s and two Battery Backup R3000XR. Is there a way they can be integrated for a soft shutdown if power is lost? I don't see any comm ports on the DL380s.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 and Battery Backup R3000XR

The specifications of these servers says they have one. DL380g1 - g4 say that they all have at least one.

You need the software for the UPS, called "Powersafe" from memory.

For one each DL380 per power supply, you need the UPS communication cable. THIS IS NOT A SERIAL CABLE!!!!!

3kVA seems excessive for a DL380, whatever generation. But you'd need the multi-system interface to get the UPS to communicate to more than one system at a time. Sounds like you're re-using equipment.

In a multi-power supply system, don't connect one power supply to each UPS. There are two problems. One is earth loop -where the two UPSs have different potentials on earth (common earth, no problem). The other problem is more difficult, which is what happens when one UPS dies? What do you want to happen? One UPS -easy.
Steven Davidson_1

Re: DL380 and Battery Backup R3000XR

We actually have 5 servers. The other are dells. But my main production servers are teh G4's. I have each r3000xr plugged into a different curcit. Then each server has dual power supplys. So one for each battery backup. Anyways...So I would have to purchase a module for each server for that to work.

Can the battery backup call a shutdown to another G4? So lets say one server is hooked up to the battery backup. We go on battery mode and the power is out for a while so the servers need to shut down...can it call a shutdown to another server?