New Discussion

Re: DL380 gen9 with debian wheezy on board hangs while rebooting

SOLVED
Go to solution
bsd_conqueror
Occasional Contributor

DL380 gen9 with debian wheezy on board hangs while rebooting

Hello,

I've just bought a new DL380 gen9 server and installed a fresh Debian Wheezy (kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64) on it. In BIOS I've loaded the optimized default options.

Problems:

1) Everytime when I type reboot in the command line, the server hangs at the very end of the rebooting process (after shutting down all daemons and printing server is shutting down, just showing a black screen). Only hard reset (press and hold the power on/off button) helps. If I type poweroff, server will go off normally. But this leads to problem number 2)

2) Server doesn't wake up when I send magic packet to it from another server in the same subnet and switch. Wake On Lan options is enabled in BIOS.

Questions:

1) What parameter should I pass to grub to get the server reboot normally? I've tried reboot=bios/efi - but it didn't help. Maybe I should try pci or force or something else? Or maybe I have to update the BIOS firmware?

2) What could prevent server from waking on lan?

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
bsd_conqueror
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 gen9 with debian wheezy on board hangs while rebooting

Found out a solution:

1) Update to the lastest firmware (Actually I think it's optional)

2) Update kernel from 3.2.0-4-amd64 to 3.16.0-0-bpo-amd64 from wheezy-backport

I think the problem is in the reboot.c but I don't have enough knowledge to figure out what exactly causes server to hang. It would be great if someone could tell me what was wrong with 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel.