cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 initialization

markwheeler
Occasional Contributor

DL380 initialization

I bought a Compaq DL380 G1 server and blank drives. When I power on, after 5 seconds I get a Compaq Proliant banner, then RAM check OK, processors check OK, Smart array drive configuration, and then: non-system or disk error. I have the latest smart Start CD in the drive. I also tried it empy. and then with Win NT server 4.0. Still: non-system or disk error. I am stuck at this point, and power off the server.
5 REPLIES
divakar.k
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 initialization

Check for the Boot controller order in BIOS to ensure you are booting from the right controller
markwheeler
Occasional Contributor

divakar.k Jul 7, 2007 20:38:56 GMT
--------
Check for the Boot controller order in BIOS to ensure you are booting from the right controller

How do I get into BIOS? Delete key during power on does nothing. Same with F2, and F1.

I read that Compaq BIOS actually is a partition on HD. The HD's are wiped, and did not come with the server.
divakar.k
Valued Contributor

Try F10 to get to SCU
markwheeler
Occasional Contributor

Yes, F10 gets me to the Smart array drive config (SCSI controller?), which correctly reads the blank drives in place and asks about raid set up. I selected it: 2 drives mirrored, etc. It seems to accept that, and goes back to a black screen. It then tries to read the CD ROM, and then: non-system or disk error.
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ok G1 servers did NOT have an RBSU (Rom based setup utility) It was installed onto a small partition at the start of the disk using either SmartStart CD or an F10 Setup Util Floppy set.

Pressing F10 on bootup should not have done anything if the disks are truly blank.

You MAY have an F8 prompt if theres a newish Array controller installed. This is called the ORCA (online Rom/Raid configuration utility) and is based on a ROM chip on the newer array controllers.

With G1 servers you also need to use the correct version of SmartStart.
The last version that will work for G1 servers is 5.5 and it was red and white in colour.
The server should automatically boot from a CD. If it doesnt, I would try another CD, then another CD Drive.

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)