1753765 Members
5718 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 with multiple windows directories

patrickc_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380 with multiple windows directories

I have recently aquired a new customer that has a DL380 G3 with SBS2003 SP1 4x72GB SCSI drives setup as 2 partitions 1 for the system and the other for data. The previous IT support person is no longer available.

I had a look at the C:\ and found that it has multiple windows directories such as

c:\windows
C:\windows.0
c:\windows.1
c:\windows.2

I have searched online and cannot locate any information that may shed some light as to why this server has these directories. Has anyone seen this before ? The environment variables are all pointing to c:\windows.2. I am trying to install some apps it is having some issues and throwing errors. I am sure this is not a normal installation.

Regards,
Patrick
6 REPLIES 6
Systemmanager
Occasional Advisor

When re-installing Windows Server (I presume this is also true for SBS2003 but I never tested this), you'll get the option to install to the same partition but setup will rename the current Windows directory for you if you choose not to format the partition.

It seems in your customer's case, Windows was reinstalled 3 times.
KMullins
Frequent Advisor

That's correct if they just created a new installation the traces of the previous installation will remain in place.
patrickc_1
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the replys guys, yes I have seen this in XP but never on server.

hmm, strange though as I am told that the disk array was formatted ect prior to use. Then SBS2003 had a clean installation, also the windows directories have modification dates in May, and I have had the customer since beginning of May.

Can I delete the other directories and reconfig the enviroment variables? I think that may cauise a major catastrophe - I am almost at the point of a re-format and re-install.
Systemmanager
Occasional Advisor

In such a situation would go for a complete reinstall, however difficult that may be.

I would tell my customer I cannot garantee the stability of the server because of the reinstalls and the unknown reasons for it.

But that's just my opinion :)
patrickc_1
Occasional Contributor

ok the problem was that when the original tech support guy installed SBS2003 the install hung due to faulty media. Subsequent installs automatically choose the C:\ partiiton and tack the .1 or .2 onto the end of the windows directory, interesting to note that if you already have an active partition or with windows directories the SBS2003 install script will not ask you to any questions, just plough straight ahead and recreate a new windows directory with a .X name, install the files, reboot and continue with the installation.
patrickc_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.