1748180 Members
4060 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380

David Griffiths_1

DL380

I have a DL380 using the Integrated smart controller with a mirror set up of just two drives. The other day when i had to reboot the server got as far as loading the integrated controller and then reported that it had failed the self test with a rom chksum error. After rebooting the server a few times it eventually loaded and initialised the controller and all was ok. Something is wrong as one of my colleagues said a similar situation happened to him last time he rebooted. I am thinking that I am going to need to change either the system board or the integrated controller in the near future but am unsure of the configuration issues of changing these ie is there any configuration held on the boards that will need to be reset or will it be just a case of one out and one in as all the relevent configuration info is held on the system partition on the drives. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I dont want to end up in a situation where I trash the data on the mirror. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

RAID configuration is stored on the hard drives. So if you replace the RAID controller it will read RAID config from the drives.
David Griffiths_1

Thanks for that. How about if I swop the system board? will I need to go into the config at all?
Robert Amarena
Occasional Contributor

Hi:

This server should be under Warranty, if you are having issues, I would call HP:

1-800-652-6672, Pick Proliant Server with OS your running. You will need the Server Serial Number. HP Support will help you determine and correct the problem.

We have about 25 of these servers, I have had anywhere from SCSI Drives Fail to Memory to Raid Controllers. I did have the Motherboard Replaced on one DL380 recently, its fine now. I usually recieve parts from HP the next day.

Hope this helps
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

If the system board is replaced then it depends on your configuration whether you'll have to run system setup or not. You'll have at least to tell it which OS you are running but I believe after replacing the system board it will ask which OS is installed anyway. The information about the server OS is used to make some default system cocnfiguration settings which are different for different server OS.

But the system should be under warranty to let HP replace stuff.