1753601 Members
6654 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G1 does not recognise the SmartStart CD

Darren Page_2
Occasional Contributor

DL380G1 does not recognise the SmartStart CD

The server is a G1 with 1.7GB memory and 4 x 36.4GB disks and Integrated Array Contoller.
I have attempted several times to build the server using the manual SmartStart with version 5.20 but it kept getting stuck. I had to re-boot and then do a system erase. I tried quite a few times to perform a manual SmartStart installation with different version of SmartStart but it kept getting stuck and I would have to perfrom a re-boot and System Erase.
Now, when I try and boot up with the SmartStart CD, the server gets past the Array Controller and gets to an F1 - Continue or F10 - System Partition prompt. Whichever option I take, the following message is displayed:
Non System Disk
It seems that the boot order is missing out the CD-ROM drive or the server has gone loopy.
Can anyone please help?
3 REPLIES 3
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Darren,

I've had similar problem for the 1st generation of Proliant if use SmartstartCD v.5.x, despite of the chart of compatibility. Try SSv4.9 or v.4.7 and see if it helps.

Cheers
Learning never ends
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Darren,

It may be unrelated however there were lots of issues with the TEAC model of slimline CD-ROM drive which the DL380G1 may have installed (Could be LG or TEAC model installed).

Problems similar to those you describe were due to firmware 9.0B on the TEAC drive.
You need firmware version 9.0C to fix this.

You can visually inspect the drive to check if you have the TEAC model: -

Visually inspect the front of the CD-ROM drive. On the Teac (slim-line) CD-ROM drive, the EJECT button is located on the left and the Light Emitting Diode (LED) is located on the right. The EJECT button and the LED are approximately one inch apart.

A second way to identify a Teac (slim-line) CD-ROM drive is to run the Survey Utility. The Teac drive information will appear similiar to the following:
Disk Controller 0 ..................... Miniport Device
Device 0 ............................. COMPAQ CD-224E
Logical Unit ID 0 ................... COMPAQ CD-224E
Device Type ........................ CD Rom
Firmware Version ...................9.0B

I have attached the V9.0C firmware kit which can be flashed using the utility provided (See the readme.txt file).

I hope this helps.

Brian

Darren Page_2
Occasional Contributor

The replacement CD-ROM drive was also faulty.